Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Transmission ATF RTV Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 09:06 AM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission ATF RTV Question

I am trying to buy Mopar ATF RTV 5010884AA for my transmission pans. Dealer says it's no longer made. He's trying to substitute an RTV that is not labeled ATF RTV, only labeled RTV. Am I getting the correct information?

Old 06-15-2016, 10:15 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 338 Likes on 302 Posts

If the dealer recommends it then it is good. I've used regular old RTV from walmart with successful results.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:10 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Two months ago I purchased Mopar silicone RTV MS-GF-41-B (formerly known as ATF RTV) the Mopar part number was 5010884AD, a three ounce tube cost $7.70. The tube did not say ATF but it appears to be the same stuff.

If you use the Mopar RTV, follow these instruction from the service manual:

Mopar ATF RTV gasket material should be applied in a continuous bead approximately 3 mm (0.120 in.) in diameter. All mounting holes must be circled. For corner sealing, a 3.17 or 6.35 mm (1/8 or 1/4 in.) drop is placed in the center of the gasket contact area. Uncured sealant may be removed with a shop towel. Components should be torqued in place while the sealant is still wet to the touch (within 10 minutes). The usage of a locating dowel is recommended during assembly to prevent smearing material off the location.
Also from the service manual:

MOPAR ATF RTV is a specifically designed black silicone rubber RTV that retains adhesion and sealing properties to seal components exposed to automatic transmission fluid, engine coolants, and moisture. This material is available in three ounce tubes and has a shelf life of one year. After one year this material will not properly cure. Always inspect the package for the expiration date before use.

Old 06-16-2016, 04:37 PM
zoom996
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would contact Mopar with that new part number to verify it will work. I wouldn't want my pan to start leaking. Also, Mopar support can tell you if they have a new part number that supersedes that old number.

Old 06-17-2016, 12:17 AM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've RTVd tranny pans 5 or 6 times always using whatever high temp RTV was available at Kmart, WalMart or local parts stores. Didn't make any difference they all worked just fine. Don't sweat it. Install the pan and wait an hour then fill it.

Last edited by Cougar41; 06-17-2016 at 12:21 AM.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Transmission ATF RTV Question