Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Testing AC Compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 11:49 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Testing AC Compressor?

I'll sum this question up quickly then provide some detail;
Is there a way to test if an AC compressor is bad or just the clutch?

the summer before last my AC stopped working, I determined that it was nothing more than the clutch plate as the rubber ring in the middle had melted.

I could turn the compressor by hand without any noises or such issues but I wouldn't say that it spun freely I could simply turn it by hand with relatively little effort.

I replaced the clutch plate with one from the wreckers and my AC worked again just fine.
I did clean up the clutch plate contact surface with a wire wheel first.

A few months down the road during some hard acceleration I burned up the rubber ring again which I kind of expected to happen as it was also an old one from the wreckers.

This year I picked up another clutch plate from the wreckers that was a little more rusty than the last one I used and didn't clean up quite as well.

Once again I can turn the compressor by hand with about the same amount of effort as usual.
I installed the clutch plate only this time it wouldn't grab. I tapped on it with a hammer and it sort of tried to grab hold but wouldn't catch. The clutch plate would just rotate slowly and maybe turn one or two times.

I messed with it for a bit and got it to grab slightly better by cleaning the clutch plate more but the friction of not fully engaging yet again melted the rubber ring and turned some of the metal blue.

So now I'm wondering if the heat could've damaged something further so I need to know how freely the compressor should move and how to determine whether or not the compressor as a whole is bad or if just the compressor clutch is bad.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:26 AM
cruzer55
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just replace the unit.good A/C shop will be able to purge the system for R&R,and core charge for old unit.And you'll get 12 mo warranty.Just a thought...........

Old 06-20-2016, 10:04 AM
GRNDPNDR
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya, when I'm looking at the prices of things it seems like just getting a new compressor would be the way to go.
I can get one from rockauto for $258 shipped, and pretty sure I can install it myself, I just need to get the system evacuated first.

it says the condenser(?) should be replaced as well since it can't be flushed, but is that really necessary as the compressor isn't broken so there's no reason to believe it wouldn't be clean inside.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Testing AC Compressor?