Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: New Rotors and Pads, still pulsating

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 12:12 PM
blubomber
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rotors and Pads, still pulsating

Happy Monday everyone. Yesterday i installed new front rotors and pads on my 2013 Grand Caravan. It was a pad and rotor kit from PowerStop. The rotors are drilled and slotted. After installing the kit, i took the van out and followed the break in procedures that PowerStop said to do. This was to go from 40 to 10mph 5 times with aggressive stopping, no cool down. Then 35 to 5, 5 times with moderate stopping, no cool down. The drive for 5 minutes to let the disk cool, preferably with out stopping.

I started this whole process because i still had the factory rotors and they were pulsating. Now, the pulsating is worse. This was yesterday with less than 200 miles on the new rotors and pads (we did take the van for a drive after the work was done)

So, my guess is is that i messed up the break in. So, what are my options? Can i try the break in again? If there is an uneven build up of material on the rotor, can i remove it by sanding or cleaning the rotors myself? I can take the rotors to a local car part store to have them turned, but can i use the same pads?

Thanks

Old 08-22-2016, 12:22 PM
offgas
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you check the front hub bearings for any looseness? Calipers are clean and slide smoothly? Before you turn them, a check with a dial indicator would be in order. Just my opinion, others may disagree.

Old 08-22-2016, 12:31 PM
blubomber

Hub bearings are good. Calipers are also clean and in good shape.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:19 PM
oldtimer1948
Default Mine too

I got a 2016 Grand Caravan two weeks ago and the brakes pulsate a little.
I figured I'd give it some time beings it new.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: New Rotors and Pads, still pulsating