Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Caravan: Rear brake/ebrake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 06:58 PM
dtm2000
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Caravan: Rear brake/ebrake adjustment

I've done quite a bit of research on this but have not found a good answer.
I have a 2008 Caravan which I have just done the rear brakes on replacing pads and rotors and now have a very soft brake pedal which goes almost down to the floor. I've pressure bled the entire system including flushing with new fluid and removing any air but still have the soft pedal.
When replacing the pads, I retracted (turned in) the caliper piston all the way flush with the caliper and then backed it out so the peg on the back of the new brake pad would align with the slot in the piston and allow it to slide back into place on the rotor. From what I have seen, this is the correct way to install the new pads.
The issue is I still have about 1/8-3/16 in. gap between the pads and the rotors and I believe this is causing the soft pedal. I can not turn the piston out any more as the peg on the pad would not align with the slot on the piston. If there were 4 slots on the piston instead of only 2 I would probably be able to close the gap enough with an extra 1/4 turn, but I don't have room for a another 1/2 turn.
Anyway, from what I have researched there is a way to get the ebrake to auto-adjust which will gradually close this gap, by engaging the ebrake and then releasing it repeatedly.
I have done this, engaging the ebrake, releasing it, 10 times, then pumping the brake pedal, then repeating another set of 10 ... over and over again ... and it seems to not have made much of a difference. I've probably set and released the ebrake near 175 times. Still have the soft brake pedal.
What am I missing ? Is there another way to adjust the gap between the pads and rotor ? Like an adjustment screw on the back of the caliper or something ?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2008 Caravan: Rear brake/ebrake adjustment