Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Gauge Flicker, Doors Won't Open

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 09:22 AM
proaction737
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Flicker, Doors Won't Open

Last weekend I replaced the ribbon cables on both my drop down DVD monitors in my 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT. Afterwards, when I drive it the center gauges flash all the warning lights for a split second, the Tripometer gauge flashes "No Bus" and the Speedo and Tach gauge drop back. Also the automatic open doors (side and rear) will only open about 12" and then close again. The only thing I touched was the DVD players! I can't see how this would be tied to the ECM or Gauges, please help before I go crazy!

I've attached a video of the gauges "blipping".

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_7174.MOV (838.5 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-13-2016, 07:37 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's called the CAN data bus and it ties all the vans electronics together including your media system. A fault anywhere on the bus can effect seemingly unrelated systems. Double check the connections. What was the original problem? Can you reinstall the old harness? You could try to reset the bus by disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes. You may or may not lose your radio presets and you may need to renter your radio security code.

If you would like wire diagrams send me an email address to send them to via a private message. How? Click Cougar41 at left.

Last edited by Cougar41; 10-13-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:03 AM
proaction737
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The original problem was that we were getting the split screen on both DVD monitors and they wouldn't play any DVDs. I did some research to find that the ribbon cables go bad and can cause this, so I ordered a couple in and replaced both front and rear overhead. Immediately after that I had this "gauge blip". It seems very erratic. I was going to try and disconnecting the main connectors on the outside of the DVD monitors next to see if that helps. The next step I can try changing back to the old ribbon cables. I will also try disconnecting the negative battery cable for 5 minutes.

Thanks for the response!

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Gauge Flicker, Doors Won't Open