Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[1st Gen : 84-90]: High beam/Low beam, Turn Signal Switch Handle

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 09:27 PM
r___r
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beam/Low beam, Turn Signal Switch Handle

Hi folks,

Months, ago, I noticed how the roadway lighting that the Caravan puts out is terrible, so I wanted to upgrade the headlight lighting, a little. I built a headlight harness; bought some Silverstar Ultra bulbs, 2 Relays, and 2 Fuse holders.

My daughter dropped the Caravan off Saturday afternoon. It was dark by the time I finished. I turned the headlight switch on. The front marker lights and rear taillights were on, but headlights did not come on. I tested the High beam/Low beam switch. High beams came on. I switched from High to Low many times. High beams worked everytime it was switched on, but, the Low beams would work sometimes, and, sometimes not when switched.

I'm thinking that the High beam/Low beam switch at the steering column could be worn out and needs to be replaced. That switch is controlled by the same handle that controls the turn signals. The turn signals work everytime the handle is switched.

Anyone have any advice on things I can check or do?

Old 10-31-2016, 12:39 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Were the low beams working prior to your built harness?
If so I would check the harness.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:33 PM
r___r

When my daughter picked up the caravan that night, I asked whether she was having issues switching from low to high beams. She said, for a while now, sometimes she wouldn't have low beams and would resort to driving with highs on.

I'll probably be changing the Dimmer Switch out the next time she brings it by.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:19 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would agree with that diagnosis.
Our 95 had issue with the switch when we first got it, it was corrosion from sitting, which resolved itself after switching back and forth numerous times.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Happy_hank

Last edited by Happy_hank; 05-18-2019 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Replied to wrong post