Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 1999 Dodge Caravan Transmission oil leak and hesitates before going in gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 12:30 PM
mikebike
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Dodge Caravan Transmission oil leak and hesitates before going in gear

Hello All,
Newbie here. First post.
I have two separate problems that might be related to transmission.
The first issue:-
Has been happening for a while. The van drives fine but at times when I am taking off at a light from standstill, specially going uphill, the van will start shuddering a little bit and as I step on the gas slowly, it will go away and drive just fine.
The second issue:-
Last Saturday morning, went to start the van. Let it warm up for 5 minutes, then place the gear in reverse and nothing. It hesitated for a bit then push the gas pedal and little while later, the reverse catches on. Same thing when I put it in drive. Got the van out of the driveway finally and noticed red oil on the driveway. Engine light came on. Check transmission fluid and was low. It doesn’t leak when idling. Only leaks when in Drive or Reverse.
Drove around the block and it hesitated everytime I would take off from a stop. It would hesitate quite a bit too long before it will drive. Also, couple times it shudders taking off at the light. And the oil leaks. Oil looks clean red oil.
Any idea?
Thank you in advance

Old 11-03-2016, 07:09 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Being low on fluid from it leaking will cause the lag when going into gear. It can also cause shuddering.
Find the source of the trans leak. If it's causing it to lose pressure, that will also cause shuddering and lag going into gear.
I'm going to say both issues are related to your leak.

Old 11-04-2016, 12:36 PM
mikebike

Thanks smokesxt.

I took it to the shop and he plugged in the scanner and had 3 or 4 errors. P0700, P0733 etc. but the mechanic without really getting under the car said that the input shaft seal is leaking hence the oil leak and not going in gear. The seal itself is $20 but without hesitant he quoted me $1000.

What is everyone thought on that. I was happy that it wasn't $3000 but would I know if I am getting scammed? He seemed experienced and has been doing this for 30 years. Its a small shop with just two mechanics.

Old 11-06-2016, 04:50 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Considering they will have to drop the trans out to change the seal, it sounds reasonable. Make damn sure he checks the diff pin while it's out, and that he will only be using ATF+4 fluid. If he tells you whatever he's got will be fine, walk away. These transmissions can have nothing but ATF+3 or ATF+4, anything else will destroy it.

Old 01-30-2017, 04:50 PM
30UPlymouth

The A413 & A604 transmissions are bad about developing leaks where the axle seals. This can result from a worn bushing inside the transmission and a simple seal replacement may not solve the issue. Fitzall makes an Axle Stabilizer that is designed to support the axle and seal the leak at the seals location.
Here's how is works...
A worn bushing in the transmission allows the axle shaft to move... causing damage to the seal. The Axle Stabilizer is a combination of a bearing & seal together and is installed in place of original seal. The bearing supports the axle and prevents the axle from moving... while the seal prevents leakage.
http://www.fitzall.com/32125LRB.php

Old 01-31-2017, 07:10 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by 30UPlymouth
The A413 & A604 transmissions are bad about developing leaks where the axle seals. This can result from a worn bushing inside the transmission and a simple seal replacement may not solve the issue. Fitzall makes an Axle Stabilizer that is designed to support the axle and seal the leak at the seals location.
Here's how is works...
A worn bushing in the transmission allows the axle shaft to move... causing damage to the seal. The Axle Stabilizer is a combination of a bearing & seal together and is installed in place of original seal. The bearing supports the axle and prevents the axle from moving... while the seal prevents leakage.
http://www.fitzall.com/32125LRB.php
This sounds like a patch that will lead to destroying your trans in short order.
Regardless, he said input shaft seal, which is inside the bellhousing, not one of the axle seals.

Old 02-08-2017, 01:50 PM
vman858
Amateur

dded this to my 2004 3.8 that had a bad input shaft seal 2 years ago and it hasn't leaked a drop since.

Amazon Amazon