Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: Should replacing a 2-row rad with a 1-row cause problems?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 07:06 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by joezapp
That, and also mechanics wanting to sell transmissions!

So I guess you change out the tranny fluid first, and if that doesn't work you change out the solenoid pack. You're not actually troubleshooting the solenoid pack, correct?
Depends what It's doing really. Most times the trans is in limp mode when I buy them. I check the fluid condition on the stick 1st. If it's bad I change it immediately before trying any further diagnosis. If the fluid looks decent I go through connections and check for any codes, if I find a loose connection or pull a code, I fix the issue, then road test again. If that doesn't solve it, I change the pack.
Only once have I had 1 or all of those not solve the issue.

Old 08-10-2017, 05:34 PM
joezapp
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome. I always heard that a transmission is very hardy. Think about all the abuse that they take, and they still keep going. I heard, as you found out, that it is much more likely to be an issue like you described rather than actually needing a rebuild or a new transmission.

Knowing this is a great way to get many a good car cheap. People see their car not shifting right and just give up, or they get a wrong diagnosis and give up.