Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Belt Squeeling When Accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 04:57 PM
AZJR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the delay. While I don't like to admit it, my PS tank was empty, I am not sure where all my PS fluid has gone but I honestly can't remember the last time I topped off all my fluids, or if I have ever even checked the tank since I bought it.

So I added fluid, the PS seems to be working 100% fine now, but I imagine the lack of fluid might have caused something to damage, to cause the noise?

Since my van is only worth $1k tops, I want to try to eliminate the noise for as cheap as possible. Should I start with the belt, or just pay a $60 diagnostic fee and figure out what the actual problem is somewhere?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:59 PM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Considering a new serpentine is around $25 I would start there first. If that doesn't solve the noise, then have it looked at. Try another shop as many small shops around here charge nothing for diagnostics.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:22 PM
AZJR

Originally Posted by smokesxt
Considering a new serpentine is around $25 I would start there first. If that doesn't solve the noise, then have it looked at. Try another shop as many small shops around here charge nothing for diagnostics.
That's what I was leaning towards as well. Are they easy to replace, I won't lie I have never replaced a belt before. I assume I release the tension, replace belt, and tighten the tension back to where it was? I read a lot of people on here talking about the belts slipping off constantly, so I just don't want to screw it up.

I called around to a few shops and they all charge 1 hour of labor for diagnostic, I might need to call around some more and see if I can find somewhere free. I am going to replace the belt and go from there.

Last edited by AZJR; 01-03-2017 at 06:25 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:14 AM
smokesxt
Record Breaker
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

15MM socket on the tensioner, roll it towards the firewall, take the belt off. Put the new one around everything except alternator, roll tensioner back again, slip belt over alternator, release tensioner, done.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:29 PM
AZJR

Originally Posted by smokesxt
If the power steering pump is putting excessive load on the belt, yes it can cause it to squeal.
I would start by changing the belt as a dry/cracked belt can cause it to slip, which can also be causing your loss of power steering.
So I'd start with a new belt and go from there.
Awesome, that sounds easy enough. I am going to knock this out on Saturday.