Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: 06 grand caravan rear ac heat issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2017 | 07:11 PM
Mark Lyons
|
Default 06 grand caravan rear ac heat issues

My rear AC always blows out warm air. So I took it apart there is 2 dampers back there one diverts air from feet to face the other one shuts off the AC side. Nothing shuts off the heat side. Is there always hot coolant flowing through the rear heat exchanger or is it suppose to shut off somehow if the AC is on. FYI AC is working good back there cold air is mixing with the hot air.

Last edited by Mark Lyons; 04-22-2017 at 05:53 PM. Reason: I posted this on 2 different forums no response. Does anyone have an answer
Old 05-16-2017 | 12:32 PM
bduits

Try here, Trevor made a fantastic writeup of repairing it yourself.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-c...or-repair.html

Old 05-16-2017 | 02:58 PM
primem
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Mark Lyons
My rear AC always blows out warm air. So I took it apart there is 2 dampers back there one diverts air from feet to face the other one shuts off the AC side. Nothing shuts off the heat side. Is there always hot coolant flowing through the rear heat exchanger or is it suppose to shut off somehow if the AC is on. FYI AC is working good back there cold air is mixing with the hot air.
there is a temp blend door that diverts airflow through or around the heater core. the possible causes of no a.c to the rear hvac are:
-temp blend door not moving
-rear thermal expansion valve stuck closed
-low refrigerant levels from a system leak...first the rear performance will be poor and as it gets low enough..the front soon follows.

check hoses where they go into the rear evaporator (through the underside of the floor by the muffler). If they are leaking, you will see black accumulation from the pag oil.