Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Egr

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 06:24 PM
wheelchairman36
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Egr

Took my van to Monro because I have a loss of power at highway speeds (power in town was normal), Sometimes would downshift and run near 4000rpm's and I would stop the cruise and lose a-lot of power and speed. Took it to monro and they put the computer on it and came back as the EGR so I had them replace it (check engine light was on already and had been for a couple months). Now when I drive it doesn't run smooth, The RPM's will jump up and down 2-300 RPM's whether going 25mph or 55mph. I took it back and they said had a lose plug wire but that didn't change anything and he told me to drive it a couple days. Also had them change the plug wires because they said the boots were bad and it idles fine.

Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Is the check engine light still on?

Old 06-08-2017, 02:25 PM
wheelchairman36
Rookie

No check engine light.

Old 06-13-2017, 11:52 AM
ironworker709

a few very common things with your issues and very easy fixes if it one of these.....

TPS..(Throttle Position Sensor)..the transmission and engine management control goes off that sensor to control shifts and engine idle and performance...very simple and cheap fix

Transmission Input and Output sensors
Very cheap and easy to replace yourself
They are on front of the transmission under the hood on the right side...these will cause the transmission to slip and act funny and very common for these transmissions..there is also a common issue fo the plug ends on them getting wet and grease/oil in them causing them to give false signals the computer...
They only cost around 15.00 a piece and easy to change out..just do goggle search on it,plenty of info on changing them out

Also,the shift solenoid is just below these sensors and another common issue and can get them around 80.00 or so remanufactured..

I've seen plenty of people go for a whole trans rebuild or give up on the car because of trans replacement cost and it was only these simple things wrong with it
I've bought 2 4th gens in the past 3 years for parts vehicles because they were dirt cheap,both had supposed bad transmissions...
one for 500.00..a 2004 grand caravan that looked like new...spent thye lil cost of the output sensors and the trans worked like new..after a fluid and filter change too..ended up selling it for 2200.00......

The other one was one for my daughter for 600.00 and i had an old beat up looking 2001 caravan with good driveline thinking i could just swap transmissions for her to drive...ended up being the shift solenoid..which i bought the shift solenoid and in and output sensors as a package for 95.00 on ebay after some tinkiering around swapping sensors and the shift solenoid out of the old beater.....

never trust monroe shops....these people hire jo shmo's and train them to nickel and dime you death or shyster false repair..always find a trusted local shop if possible

Last edited by ironworker709; 06-13-2017 at 11:58 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:04 PM
wheelchairman36
Rookie

TY for the information. Is funny it didn't start the throttle fluctuation problem until after they changed the EGR and was skyptical taking it to a tranny shop they suggested but the tranny shop said there is no problem with the tranny that it is a motor problem so I will order a TPS and go from there. And the engine light is back on for catalyst insuffieciency. There is no egg smell but engine has a lack of power when at highway speeds like 55mph +. Catlytic converter has been punched but that was last year and had been fine until now.

Last edited by wheelchairman36; 06-13-2017 at 08:09 PM.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:00 PM
ironworker709

Originally Posted by wheelchairman36
And the engine light is back on for catalyst insuffieciency. There is no egg smell but engine has a lack of power when at highway speeds like 55mph +. Catlytic converter has been punched but that was last year and had been fine until now.
I think that's your problem right there.........these newer engine will go in to "limp mode" the cat system is not working correctly..don't know why it didn't do it before........either the O2 sensors or cat converter needs or both.......

in limp mode it will only have enough power to get you home and terrible fuel mileage....

we punched out the cat on my daughter's old dodge neon and wouldn't go over 50 MPH,ended up buyin a new cat converter and down stream O2 sensor before it ran good again

Old 06-14-2017, 07:31 PM
wheelchairman36
Rookie

So you think it is the converter.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:57 PM
wheelchairman36
Rookie

Took it for a ride on the highway today for the first time since this started and has noo problem going 55+ mph but as soon as you hit a hill it has very bad power and has to shift all the way down at times even without the cruise on.

Old 06-24-2017, 02:59 PM
Egrarrgh
Default EGR PCM Connection

Newbie to forum here.
I apologise if I am in the wrong section. All the EGR answers have been to replace the egr
I have a P0406 always on 2006 caravan 3.3 6v.

AT the pcm c2 I have the 5v on pin 29.
Now with the egr unplugged pin 22 of the pcm c2 gives me 5 volts also.

I have replaced the egr 3 times since 2015. with the last one going back because my mechanic tested the 2nd egr and stated it was working properly, so we didn't need the third one.
. At one point on the mechanics computer it showed a fluctuating 7 to 7.5 volts as he tested the egr
I have tested the egr with pin one disconnected and get 3 volts on pin 1,
and the 5volts on the disconnected wire.
I have replaced the wire between egr pin 1 and pcm c2 pin 22.
I have also replaced the PCM last year.
Can anyone tell me what voltage I am suppose to see at pcm connector 2 pin 22 with nothing connected.

I am using the wiring (RSWIRING) I found on the web. that shows all the 8w-80-111 and other pcm connections.
Thank you