Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: LF Parking Light problem but blinker works

Old 06-15-2017, 03:13 PM
ives6797
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LF Parking Light problem but blinker works

Hello

Problem is with the drivers side parking light...

A couple nights ago, I got the fast blinker thing when taking a left. Got to destination and surely my blinker was out (remember my headlights were on- we'll revisit that later). Got a new front drivers side bulb and blinker works, but is blinking rapidly, as if it didn't recognize that we replaced bulb. We have since discovered that when the parking lights are activated, the left blinker does NOT work at all. It works in the daytime (no headlights on) but blinks very rapidly for left turn. So I currently have no left blinker at night in the front.

We have already done:

*Bulb replacement
*Switched sockets, the other socket yielded same results.
*It wouldn't be a fuse, as the rear light works fine.

Hubby is thinking either the headlight switch (would that be it when the other 3 parking lights work though?) or wiring problem. Hoping it's not wiring as he knows nothing about that and it would be time to call the shop.

Thanks so much for reading. Thoughts?

Old 06-15-2017, 05:10 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headlight switch? I'll never say never but not likely. Select parking lights and power goes through a resistor network in the switch then comes out as a single output to the BCM. The BCM splits the signal to each light. A failed switch would effect all lights. I'm thinking high resistance in the form of corrosion at either the front or rear sockets or a BCM issue. Post your model year so I can look at the correct diagram.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:45 PM
ives6797

oops! I'm so sorry... it's a 2005 Caravan. I should have also been more clear that the drivers front parking light does not work AT ALL, not just when I use the blinker. It doesn't work at all as a parking light. When the parking light is off, it does flash for the blinker (but really fast) and it's the same bulb.

Last edited by ives6797; 06-15-2017 at 09:05 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 04:16 PM
ives6797

We solved it. Seems unlikely, but apparently it was corrosion on the battery terminal. The positive terminal was so corroded that it broke when my hubby tried to take it off. We had a hard time finding a replacement today as the bolts were too big on the "universal" ones to fit the hole on our 2005. Hubby drilled a hole with a drill to enlarge the hole.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:55 PM
ives6797

Spoke too soon. It seemed to work and the blinker was back to normal yesterday... unfortunately, today it's back to what I listed above. Darn it. Why did it work better for that day though? Hmm.

Last edited by ives6797; 06-26-2017 at 04:18 PM.
Old 07-05-2017, 04:23 PM
anaxas

Check the ground wires. I had a similar issue with the front passenger side turn signal. Front turn signal lights ground to G102 in a tight place beside the radiator on the driver's side. The wire was corroded there and lost it's ground and the lights were acting weird.

The location is so tight and awkward to work in that I ran another ground wire for that specific bulb to another place on the chassis.

Old 07-05-2017, 04:32 PM
ives6797

T'hank you! I bet you are right! We got a circuit tester light but haven't used it yet.

Originally Posted by anaxas
Check the ground wires. I had a similar issue with the front passenger side turn signal. Front turn signal lights ground to G102 in a tight place beside the radiator on the driver's side. The wire was corroded there and lost it's ground and the lights were acting weird.

The location is so tight and awkward to work in that I ran another ground wire for that specific bulb to another place on the chassis.

Search this Thread