Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: I have a ? about CV Axles&Differential/Trans

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 07:46 PM
Scott Ouimet
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a ? about CV Axles&Differential/Trans

Hello,
I'm new to this forum but could really use some help please? Sorry for the long post, just giving some history in it. Ok, I bought a 93 with a 3.0L V6 120,000 miles salvage title for $200. Had 2 broken windows and smoked badly from burning oil. 7 months later and I just changed the water pump because it started to leak a lil bit I didn't want it to hurt the motor because it's been super reliable, has good power, and didn't leak any fluids. Even got it to pretty much stop smoking except for a big puff of blue smoke when I accelerate from a stop after idling for few. Anyways what I'm concerned with is the driver side cv axle allows the tire to role toward and backward a few inches when in park and jacked in the air, but the passenger is tight barely moves... I'm trying to figure out if this is suppose to be this was or is it something I can fix. Symtoms include slight role back after engaging park when on a slant, and the shifter almost becoming locked in place when this happens and I forget to apply the E brake. I can tell from how the panels are outta shape some welds are torn here and there and some of the front core support has been welded from when previous owner was severely rear ended. I think the reason it smokes is because I was adding synthetic oil to the regular oil in it.( I know this was an awful mistake because it didn't leak oil at all and is now seeping from every visable oil seal) I was just going to drive it to death, but I've come to really love my caravan and have been steadily fixing every thing I can afford to as I can afford to... Sorry for the long post, just wanted to provide some history...

The following users liked this post:
actualrebecca (01-23-2024)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:41 PM
kuyabribri
Professional

Are you sure the CV axle is the problem, and not a broken/missing suspension component? And are there any vibrations or noises from that side when driving?

Regardless I'm pretty sure that when the transmission is in park one front wheel isn't supposed to have more play than the other. Check if the axle itself has any play in/out, forward/backward.

Old 06-23-2017, 01:24 PM
Scott Ouimet

Well iI know the struts are pretty much done cuz I have a lot of bounce and can hear the passenger strut making more noise tho... Sway bar bushings look pretty wiped out too but the rest is pretty tight. The driver side wheel bear hub assembly is squealing and squeaking a bit but I don't hear the passenger side. Those are the next planned repairs those is Struts, wheel bearings, then sway bar bushings