Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 L

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:18 PM
Amy Shawcroft
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 L

I have a 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.8 L that has had an ongoing, obvious gas leak at the fuel pump. My regular mechanic has checked it out and says he has tightened all the fittings and can't see how it is still leaking. He advised taking it to the dealer. Which I did. I have been informed by the dealer that the reason it is leaking is the fault of the electrical connection on the pump. That being said they are now saying I need a new fuel pump. Could someone please explain to me, just how the heck, an electric connector can cause actual fuel to leak? I just can't grasp it. I'm sixty two today and have done my own work on my cars, since I was 13, up until three years ago. Have fuel pumps changed that much? I eagerly await any information on this conundrum.

Old 06-30-2017, 07:59 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

Does not sound plausible to me. If it's leaking, it has to be a gasket or a fuel line/fitting. or a hole in the tank maybe?

Old 06-30-2017, 09:11 PM
Cougar41
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not the connection itself but the seal sealing the plastic wire "conduit" that allows the connection wires to pass into the pump. Open the link to the photo of a pump. They are talking about the gray connector on the left. Looking closely there is a gasket sealing the connector mount flange (my words) on the underside of the top of the pump. It's likely that seal is shot allowing fuel to leak past the connector mount flange. Either that or there are hairline cracks in the top of the pump near the electrical connection.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxNjAw/z/eJUAAOSwDN1UPrg2/$_12.JPG

Last edited by Cougar41; 06-30-2017 at 09:17 PM.