Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Transmission noise or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 11:29 AM
Brett Vredenburg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission noise or something else?

Ok, sorry if I sound like noob, but when it comes to transmissions I'm not very versed in the noises they make. I have 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT 3.8 Lit. For the last few months when you are driving you get a humming type sound when driving. The faster you go, the louder it gets until it seems reach a certain pitch. You slow down or stop and it decreases and stops. You also hear it more prominently on the drivers side than the passengers. The sound to me sounds like what you would get if tire was balding. Tires are all fine though. it isn't really a whine like I have read that trannys make. There is also no slippage, gearing issues or anything that would make me think transmission issues. I finally bought a dipstick today since, god forbid, Chrysler actually have one installed so I can at least try to check the fluid. The garage has told me the rack and pinion needs replaced and it seems the sound started around the time that I was told this. However, anything I have read about rack and pinion symptoms doesn't mention any type of humming noises while driving. Supposedly you get play in the steering etc, but not noise. I'm trying to narrow this down because I hope it isn't a tranny issue. I could probably record the noise if that would be helpful, but I think I have described the situation pretty well. Any ideas?

Old 07-22-2017, 05:04 PM
2tall2
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a front wheel bearing problem. Common issue. If the tone of the noise changes when you slightly serve back and forth that's what it is.