Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 05 3.8L clicking sounds from transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:13 PM
tomfrazier001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 3.8L clicking sounds from transmission

Daily in town driver 05 3.8L 166k miles clicking sounds from transmission.

Fluid was changed about 40k miles ago (120k) with Dodge OEM fluid.

For the last couple days I am hearing two or three fast click click click sounds from the transmission area when I put it into Reverse, Neutral or Drive. I also hear it once in drive when I am stopped and then start moving. It sounds like the bands making noise.

No clunking or jerking and no slipping. Fluid is nice and red and doesn't smell burnt.

Fluid level seems okay. The reason I say "seems okay" is because the fluid for some reason bubbles up into the dipstick tube making it hard to get an accurate reading. This is the first time I've ever seen the fluid bubble up into the tube leaving transmission oil marks all over the dip stick even after wiping. Fluid was checked in park according to manufacturers instructions.

What could this clicking sound be?

Why is the fluid bubbling into the dip stick tube while the engine/transmission is hot and idling?

Is there any way to accurately check the fluid level when the engine is off and cold?

Regards,
Tom