Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Very slow acceleration at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 09:21 PM
dodge2x
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,
Forgot to mentions it is 2006 model

Thank you,
SA
2006 Dodge Grand Caravan SXT

Old 11-13-2017, 10:16 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Pull the plug wires one by one from the ignition coil and look at the condition of the posts. Also look for any trace marks or hairline cracks in the coil itself. Often times 2 coil packs will cross over into each other but only if the demand is high such as wide open throttle. Weak fuel pump is my second place to look. You might be able to rent a fuel gauge. It needs to be a pass through type. You have a port...it's the actual rail connection though....

Old 11-14-2017, 01:14 PM
dodge2x

Hi TNtech,

Thank you for the reply. I do not understand many things in regards to auto. So I will ask the workshop technician to read your message and go through these checks. That will be only possible on Saturday as they close the workshop by the time I leave my office in the evening. Do you know what sensor I should monitor looking at the issue I described in my earlier email. When I visited the Dodge dealership and discussed with the tech over there. The one who said if there is no issues at this time it will be hard to trace the problem, on my inquiry he suggested that I can start monitoring and collecting the data with the following sensors.

* OS sensor Upstream and Downstream for both banks.
*Throttle with MAP (Manifold Absolute Pressure) sensor.
*Throttle with Mass Airflow sensor.
*Speed
*Battery
*Spark - Timing
*Cam crank coloration (Insync or Outsync)
*Torque converter.

Frankly speaking I do not know anything about the auto stuff as I mentioned before. I started looking in the Android "Torque Pro" app and some of the sensors are there that I picket to monitor and the other I am still struggling to find. They may be worded differently in the app. Although I am good in the computers as I work for technical support. Do you have any suggestions for the above list? Is there any other PID that I should add in my app. I have options to add custom PID with their formulas. Please let me know.

Thank you.
SA

Old 11-15-2017, 06:02 AM
TRU
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TNtech
Pull the plug wires one by one from the ignition coil and look at the condition of the posts. Also look for any trace marks or hairline cracks in the coil itself. Often times 2 coil packs will cross over into each other but only if the demand is high such as wide open throttle. Weak fuel pump is my second place to look. You might be able to rent a fuel gauge. It needs to be a pass through type. You have a port...it's the actual rail connection though....
I'll check that out tomorrow. And If I can't rent a fuel tester, than I'll buy one and have it in 2 days. I looked it up and it says that I should have a fuel pressure of 58psi (+/- 5).

Also I noticed that the sluggish highway speed isn't all that bad the past few days that it's been cold outside.

Thanks

Last edited by TRU; 11-15-2017 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:33 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if it accellerates normally from a stop but poorly at cruising speed...and no dtc are set...possible torque convertor stator not over-running problem.

Last edited by primem; 11-15-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:15 AM
dodge2x

Hi TNtech,

After posting the last message there is another issue developed. This was related to electrical. It happened in last 4 weeks also but it appeared after the transmission line issue (It is still not confirmed whether there was really a transmission issue or not, it still need to be seen).

The issue was that car looses the electrical power as well time to time but as I said it started happening after few days when it start loosing the speed in the middle of the road. The symptoms were all the dial lights start flashing, some time it goes away. While care is parked in driveway has not electrical power, cannot start the car until use the power booster. Yesterday the car was stopped in the middle of the road and it lost all the electrical power. Restarted with power booster.

Ended up taking the car to the Auto electrician. First diagnostics did not find any thing. But latter found it was faulty battery terminal connector. There is only 2.0 volts. According to the auto electrician the original issue where car was loosing speed no matter how much gas I give could be related to this power issue which is messing around with the car computer hence anything can go wrong. Remember my mechanic already changed the transmission line completely and the issue was continue. I will monitor and see how things goes. I will report back if the original issue of loosing the car speed and knocking (kind of) is gone or not.

Please also note that for last whole week there was no electrical or transmission issue resurfaced so it will take some time before I can confirm whether any of two (Electrical or Mechanical) issues came back or not.

Thank you,

Old 11-20-2017, 04:03 AM
TRU
Amateur

I changed the fuel filter today since it hasn't been changed in almost 5 years, but was not able to rent a fuel pressure tester since the auto stores around here stopped lending them out. I'm going to order one online and see what happens.

Old 11-20-2017, 04:10 AM
TRU
Amateur

Originally Posted by primem
if it accellerates normally from a stop but poorly at cruising speed...and no dtc are set...possible torque convertor stator not over-running problem.
This problem was happening before I changed out my old transmission when I lost 4th gear. Trans was re-manufactured, with new torque converter, so I doubt that's the problem. Now the wheels are spinning when I take off fast from a dead stop. My old sluggish transmission couldn't do that.

Old 11-20-2017, 11:18 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

ok. then you are probably correct.
taking off from a stop the stator must hold or it will accelerate poorly...at speed however the stator must overrun or it will accelerate poorly

Old 11-27-2017, 02:46 AM
TRU
Amateur

Originally Posted by TNtech
Solved

Fuel pressure was tested at about 62psi while running, and stayed in that area while I rev the engine. Turned it off and the pressure dropped to 56psi and stayed, so no leaks (waited about 5 mins). Seems the fuel system is fine.

I saw no damage to the wires or the coil, but I remembered I got them both from a***zone so I replaced both the wires and the coil and that seemed to have fixed the problem. Not sure how they went bad since they were changed not even 2 years ago. So thanks a lot for suggesting that.

I'm going to go ahead and replace the plugs as well. Anybody have any plug brand and type recommendation for the 2003 3.3L engines?