Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Scan tool won't connect?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 03:23 PM
Vger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scan tool won't connect?

My friends 1999 Plymouth Voyager 3.3 would not start one morning after he returned from shopping.

The headlights were bright and did not dim accesories semed to work.

Jumping the Starter solenoid from the spade terminal directly to the positive battery post produced healthy cranking.

Jumping the ASD relay from #30 to # 87 did not help.

Some relays click when the ignition switch is turned on, but there is no fuel injection pulse when the starter motor is cranked with the jump wire.

The digital odometer shows the correct mileage but his scan tool cannot connect to the computer? This same Actron OBD meter has successfully connected and resolved issues with the crank angle sensor in the vehicle a couple years ago. Keeps saying failure to connect "scan tool link error".

Thought I better ask the experts in the Dodge forum before going much further ourselves. I doubt its worth a garage service...

Old 11-20-2017, 06:56 PM
Vger

Today my friend removed the crank angle sensor and we again tried to connect the scanner, still said link error trying to "read error codes".

On his Actron scanner there are some other sub menus so we tried a systems scan which successfully linked and completed successfully but produced no error code information.
On the list of systems Comp Comm was listed as "OK" but everything else was listed N/A?

Anyone know which computer holds the error codes?
Are there sensors that produce cross talk that could jam the error code readout?

Did I post this in the wrong forum?

Old 12-28-2017, 09:52 PM
Vger

Appears to be resolved we found a used PCM from a junk yard that came from a 1999 Caravan same number on PCM.
Scanner with Voyager selected linked fine after installation of the Caravan PCM.
Vehicle starts and runs fine without reprogramming.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Scan tool won't connect?