Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Hazard fuse blows every time blinkers or brakes are used

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 01:07 PM
GrandpasVan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazard fuse blows every time blinkers or brakes are used

Hey all,

So I've been having some issues with the blinkers, instrument cluster, and brake lights. I've read countless threads on this and other forums about other 4th gens with similar problems.

Finally after trouble-shooting a bunch of methods including cleaning the battery terminals/posts, checking the IOD fuse / removing for a few minutes to reset, I discovered that it was actually the Hazard fuse (#24 I believe) that was blown. I replaced it, turned the key to start the car, and all of the gauges worked properly. However, as soon as I stepped on the brake to shift into reverse, the fuse blew again. I changed it and the same thing happened again immediately.

My suspicions are a bad ground somewhere coming from the IPM / Fuse Box. Does anyone know what color the ground wire is for the hazard lights that comes from this fuse? And where it is grounded?

Also, I've read that some have found the issue to be with a pinch somewhere in the brake/turn signal cable for a trailer. I have one of these, and last week was actually the first time I moved it or messed around with it because I had a flat and had to use the jack and found the trailer wiring stuffed in there. I am unsure if this is a coincidence but I thought it was worth noting. Anything specific I should look for?

(Note: I have a 2005 GC SXT with 86,xxx miles)

Thanks

Old 01-16-2018, 08:25 AM
GrandpasVan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Problem solved! It ended up being the trailer cable for brake lights / blinkers which is wired to the driver's side taillight and the cable was stuffed into the back where the jack and lug wrench are located. There was a tiny (1-2 mm) abrasion and exposed wire, so I just taped it up, said to myself "there's no way that is the problem", started it up, and it was back to working perfectly. I read that someone else had a short or a pinched trailer cable in another thread so thanks to this forum I was able to narrow it down.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Hazard fuse blows every time blinkers or brakes are used