Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: O2 Sensors showing low voltage, Van losing PS and acceleration in drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 01:50 PM
SMcKechnie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy O2 Sensors showing low voltage, Van losing PS and acceleration in drive

Hey! New to the forum, having an tech issue.
I have a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan SE 3.6L FFV V6. It has roughly 160,000KM on it. Mainly highway.
Lately it has been having some issues arise that are uncharacteristic for a vehicle only 5yrs old. It started a few years back with the O2 Sensors. They were giving codes about being too rich and having low voltage, We replaced them. Then they continued to throw codes after that. We talked to the mechanic, he said not to worry it's probably just because we changed 2 then changed the other 2 a few months later (they are pricey!)
Fast forward to the last year or so things are starting to pile up. The vehicle unpredictably will lose all function while driving at low RPM. I will be driving along, slowing down to a light or ticking along at a steady speed (somewhere usually between 1st and 2nd) and all of a sudden I will lose my power steering and acceleration. The gas pedal will depress but I get nothing out of it. The wheel is stiff and it takes some muscle to crank it to the side to pull over with my hazards on. I can use the brake, it will stop the car. I put it in park, turn it off and turn it back on. It fires normally and I'm on my way again. It has happened now 4-5 times over the last year, but 2 of those times were today.
The battery is brand spanking new. Replaced it last month when the car wouldn't start at all (turned out to be frozen fuel line, -35c temps, low gas)
The Climate Control Module has been acting up, the rear defrost light will flash for a few minutes upon startup.
The key fob (even with new batteries) will not unlock the car (I have to use the key, but the fob works in the ignition no problem)
The driver side window only goes up after i pull on the button 5 times.

The last stuff being minor, but thought I should mention it.

Mechanic is now saying it's possibly the alternator dropping the voltage from the vehicle while it's running. Anyone else have any ideas or theories? Should I go ahead and replace the alternator?

Thanks for listening to me ramble!

Codes I have observed:
P2245, P0151, P0172, P0175, (P2097, P2099 both these haven't come back), (P0456 this one only once and once cleared, never came back)

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: O2 Sensors showing low voltage, Van losing PS and acceleration in drive