Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Grand Caravan SXT DTC P0520

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 04:49 PM
joepeterson56
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2013 Grand Caravan SXT DTC P0520

Parked car, turned it off. Started 5 minutes later, Check engine light on. No performance problems, drive it home, check for stored trouble codes with Actron AutoScanner Plus, Model CP9580A, and got Generic ODBII Code: P0520. It came up as 3 codes found in Module 00.
1) Eng Oil Press Sensor Circuit Malfunction Confirmed
2) Eng Oil Press Sensor Circuit Malfunction Pending
3) Eng Oil Press Sensor Circuit Malfunction Permanent

Guess I have gotten out of touch over the past few years, because first, I couldn't find my oil filter when I went looking for it, because the Oil Pressure Sensor and Oil Pressure Sending switch are usually located in the Oil filter housing ABOVE the filter.
After googling the filter, I was floored to find that they switched to a stupid little cartridge type filter that is housed up on top of the engine coming out from between the intake manifolds under the fresh air plenum, and was really po'd when I found that the Oil Pressure Sensor and Oil Pressure Sending switch are still located on the Oil filter housing but the sensor & switch were mounted even further under the plenum, requiring the removal of everything over that, requiring removal of everything above them, as well as the replacement of the plenum gaskets!
No wonder the dealer quoted me 2 to 3 hours @ $125.00 per hour for this job!
Having vented about all that, what I am asking now is:
1) Is there a simple way to connect to a fitting anyplace on the engine, to check my oil pressure to make sure my oil pump is operating properly? and/or
2) Am I better off to just pull all this crap off and replace the Sensor and/or
3) I am wondering how common this problem is on these vehicles
I also noticed that this occurred approximately 5 days after I had removed the engine "cover/shield" from the top and used an air hose to blow out acorns and leaf debris that had accumulated under the air plenum between the intake manifolds, where mice and other vermin love to hide and nest on the newer vehicle engines, especially since the covers give them an added layer of protection from weather and prying eyes. I am wondering if possibly something could have nibbles away at the electrical wires or connectors under there going to the switch/sensor causing a possible moisture condition since we have had a lot of rain and snow since I blew all the debris out of there.
Any suggestions, advice or input would be greatly appreciated at this point, BEFORE I start tearing it all down to investigate it. ALSO, I did find a TSB on this same trouble code that said: "If this code P0520 exists and the customer and vin are in your database, perform the repair. If the customer and vin are not in your database, perform the repair". "It may be reimbursable under the terms of warranty", but it did not say what the repair is or was.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2013 Grand Caravan SXT DTC P0520