Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2001 Dodge Caravan SE Evap Canister

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 02:15 PM
mondal99
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Caravan SE Evap Canister

Hello,
I have a question I hope someone will have the answer to. I have tried searching but could not find the answer.
I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan SE, 3.3L with 130,000 miles. I was getting some codes related to the emissions. I did a smoke test and found the fuel tank filler was rotted out. Replaced it, and after driving approximately 30 miles, the engine light went off and all seemed good.

The first time I tried to add fuel at the gas station, the pump kept kicking off. I was able to rotate the nozzle about 90 degrees and was slowly able to fill my tank. Then after starting my van to leave, the engine light came back on with the codes P0442; P0455; and P0456. I figured due to the gas station pump kicking off, I would start at the charcoal canister and check the connections for any cracks, and test the canister to see if it was blocked.
I also have seen where the canister could be tested by blowing air thru the fuel tank vent connection.
My question is should the air come out the purge hose side? and should the hose from the leak detection pump be blocked? I am using the terminology from the diagram in my Haynes Repair Manual.

Thank you

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2001 Dodge Caravan SE Evap Canister