Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan Brakes Not Releasing

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 07:35 PM
rjsp
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan Brakes Not Releasing

I was driving around town, and noticed the van seemed sluggish. I got out and did a walk around. The left rear brake was smoking. The other wheals were too hot to touch, and making a cracking noise as if overheating. The pads and rotors were all replaced within the last year or so, at the time all calipers moved freely. Emergency brakes were freed up and all springs and shoes were replaced. Any ideas why the brakes would all hang up. I never flushed the system after replacing the brakes? ABS light has been on for a few years, with no problems braking. Vehicle will stop. when the brakes are applied, although they seem a little spongy, and the right front one creaks when stopping now where as it did not before. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-26-2018, 12:40 AM
Deena Hayes

It’s a big problem with these vans. 99% of the time it’s the brake hoses. They wind up compressing and not letting the fluid back out. Or the caliper seizes up. I suggest looking at the lines first. They are cheap and easy to replace, and check the caliper.

Old 05-26-2018, 02:03 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

if one brake is stuck on I would agree...caliper or flex hose....if all the brakes are dragging you may have a brake master cylinder problem.

Old 05-26-2018, 08:00 AM
rjsp

I had an opportunity to pick up another grand caravan van (2006) with a few less miles and a lot less rust, and its own set of problems. The sills, liftgate, and quarter panels were perforated on the old one. I have the 2006 mostly ready for safety check, except for the horn? The horn.I checked (swapped out) the fuse, horn relay, horns, and am now realizing that I am going to have to properly diagnose this thing? (As I should of done in the first place?) Rookies LOL. On topic I swapped the pads and rotors over to the new one, so never did figure out the actual problem, I will make another thread on the horn, I am looking for a little better wiring diagram, and some diagnosing techniques, as in wire colour, location of connecters, so as no to have to disassemble any more than I have to.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2007 Dodge Grand Caravan Brakes Not Releasing