Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 99 grand caravan tranny issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 12:44 PM
dino67
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by smokesxt
The Sebring trans will not work as the 2.7L has a different bellhousing pattern.
Any 96-06 (IIRC) trans will work however. Later ones have stronger internals than the older ones.
Have you tried simply changing the fluid/filter?
Yes,changed fluid and filter. Ran a scan,no set codes. Think I am looking at a wire issue. Gonna start tracing wires I guess

Old 06-28-2018, 02:01 PM
dino67

I am thinking the problem as internal. Internal would normally slip before locking I think...maybe wrong,depending on the severity of internal damage...if any.
It would really blow to change out a tranny and have that not be the problem.

Old 08-02-2018, 01:47 AM
dino67

The problem was the transmission,internal problems or worn out...possibly wrong fluid used before I bought it.

In short,a better explanation of the problem,first gear would work fine,but when it shifted into second gear it was like applying the brakes.

Opted to pull trans and get a used one at a U-pull-it yard. Did alot of checking before finding one that seemed to be ok. Pull the pan and check what is in the pan if you decide to go this route. The yard I went to had 2 99s to choose from. First one I looked at was very dirty,oil & dirt on exterior of trans.,and when I pulled the dipstick,I saw a drop of oil come off of the dipstick. So went to check the other one. This one looked beautiful...very clean,looked well taken care of. Decided to use this one. Returned a couple of days later to pull it,and started disconnecting cables and wires....then something told me to stop,and pull the pan. So I did so,and it was full of metal,big pieces of gear teeth. So much for the nice clean tranny.
Checked a couple other year models close to my 99,and was not happy with what I was finding in the pans...metal shavings galore.

So I went back to the dirty 99,and pulled the pan.Had a few drops of water in the bottom of clean oil.(They drain the oil before putting these vehicles in the yard for dissection)
So I determined that the water was either from rain after it was placed in the scrap yard,or condensation since it is sitting there with barely any oil in it. What oil was in it,looked clean.Water and oil had not been blended to create sludge.
So I decided to go with this one. This was a pretty difficult task since they have the vehicles all lifted setting on old wheels,and you are not allowed to use jacks of any sort. And there is no shade,and it was blazing hot that day. Had a good friend come with me to help(Thank goodness),and after a few hours,we had the trans out and on the ground. Again....not an easy task with no jack. I cut the harness at the plugs and sensors and let all of them in place. And removed my sensors before turning mine in for their core. Good thing,even though it was the same model year,the 10/9 pin connector was different,so I had to change the plug end on the end of my harness. An hour of cutting,soldering and heat shrinking,and I had the proper connector on my harness.

Never pulled the solenoid,just left the one that was on the new trans in place,even though I have a newer better solenoid that I had removed from the 02 Sebring,and still have it.
Went in alot easier going in using a transmission jack and proper motor support than what we had to do at the scrap yard to get this beast on the ground. Everything besides the 10 pin connector went together pretty well,easy. Took my time and made sure everything went together correctly. And nothing was skipped or left off like whoever replaced this trans last time. The front and rear mounts were a bit difficult,but taking my time,I figured them out and all went together fine. New oil and filter,fingers crossed. She started right up and worked just fine. Few weeks later,everything is still going well with the trans,shifting well. Need to replace 3 of the 4 mounts still,think I will go with the inserts instead of complete new mounts. I wanted to make sure this one was going to work before investing the money on all new mounts. 3 or the 4 were bad,not completely trashed,but need replaced. I do not mind going back in and doing them now that I know I have a good working trans.

Needs a few other things done as well on the front side of motor,front main seal,PS leak and pulley since the one on it was pulled by someone who did not know how to use or had the proper tools for the job last pulled the ps pulley....missing pieces from front of flange. New idler bearing needed,alternator bearings,water pump looks old. So that will all be done in one shot in a week or so when I can take a break from work and fix everything else that needs attn.

Figured I would come back and finish this thread off in case someone else finds this and can use the info.

I have replaced alot of transmissions,from regular old GM 350s,to Mack trucks. This was my first front wheel drive trans that I have done,and they are a bit more work than your standard rear wheel drive trans....std or automatic.

I did not have the chance to tear the old one down to find out exactly what went wrong inside,had to turn it in for a core. But I would assume that clutches in second gear pack were completely gone and welded together.

Last edited by dino67; 08-02-2018 at 02:11 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:01 AM
dino67

I do have one question if anyone would like to give thier advice on this.

I have the newer shift solenoid from the 02 sebring. It is a completely different design internally. And is supposed to be interchangeable with the one that came with the 99.
I was thinking of putting the newer shift solenoid on this trans to have what looks to be a better designed solenoid on my trans.
I already have everything to change it out,solenoid and gaskets.

Opinions ???

If you have had both types apart as I have,you know the differences. Internally,they are completely different. The older type that is on it now is the one that causes the shuddering problems,which I had at first when I first swapped the trans out,but the shuddering went away. Fuel milage is not great as it is now,about 17-18 around town. Not sure if the newer solenoid would improve milage or not.

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 99 grand caravan tranny issues