Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: 2000 Dodge Caravan 4cyl 2.4l alternator amp draw?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 12:56 PM
Stux Net
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 Dodge Caravan 4cyl 2.4l alternator amp draw?

I have a 2000 dodge caravan with the 2.4l 4 cylinder in it. and I recently ditched the 90amp alternator that came in it and got the bigger 130amp alternator from the 6 cylinder version. I wanted to extra output for when I upgrade the lighting exterior and interior, I'm also doing sound system upgrades. I got a new head unit, dash and rear speakers, as well as wired in a amplifier and subwoofer. my issue is, I started off using a cheap boss amplifier that has 1 30amp fuse, runs fine on both the old 90amp and 130amp alternator. I got a better infinity amplifier for my infinity subwoofer as the boss amp was a place holder that I had laying around. well the infinity has 2 30amp fuses for a max amp draw of 60amps, I only had the gain turned about half way, maybe a bit lower, so I know it can't be drawing anywhere near 60amps but when I use it, my headlights and interior lights dim significantly to the bass. which either to me, means the alternator somehow isn't outputting enough to account for the draw or the battery is bad? but my battery and alternator are both less then 2 months old. my caravan is the base model with crank windows, non power seats, non power mirrors, nothing. as basic as it gets. so my 130amp alt should have plenty of room right? im confused by this cause the amp wasn't cheap and I can't return it now so I'd like it to work. I also wanted to get a 4 channel amp for the coaxial speakers but im afraid to due to whatever is limiting my alternator. I checked the wire and the gauge wire the car has for the charging system should handle up to 150amps, plenty of room for the alternator. I could upgrade to heavier wire for the charging system if necessary. so what do you guys think? any ideas why my higher output alternator and new battery aren't handling this rather insignificant load? cause the car itself came with a 90amp alt so I should have at least 40amps of play room, or at least that's what I would assume.

Old 06-24-2018, 02:25 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the charging system can't react to each surge of the subwoofer. Sterophiles install capacitors into the system. They store and release power to compensate for the draw of the sub

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: 2000 Dodge Caravan 4cyl 2.4l alternator amp draw?