Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: 2005 caravan 3.3L rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 02:59 PM
Adanar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 caravan 3.3L rebuild

Hello! I am currently working on a rebuild of my 2005 dodge caravan with the 3.3L engine. I purchased remanufactired heads and have now run into the intake manifold not sealing properly because one cylinder head is shaved down more than the other. Before I knew what the problem was I started and ran it for a sec. I immediately noticed coolant leaking from the intake manifold and shut off the vehicle. I checked the dipstick and confirmed that coolant did infact mix with the oil causing it to look milky white. I’ve decided to pull the heads off and go back to the original heads (replacing the internal parts with the new ones). They weren’t warped or anything, they just started making the tapping sound from the valves. My question is, giving the fact that coolant mixed with the oil briefly do I need to worry about the engine bearings going bad?

Any my advice is greatly appreciated!

Old 08-28-2018, 09:43 PM
mirageman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loosen the oil plug, the coolant will have settled to the bottom of the pan and it will pour out with just loosening the plug. Soon as solid oil starts dribbling out, close that plug and don't give it another thought. I wouldn't even drain all the oil. Run it hot and the rest will evaporate away. Might want to get a filter in like 500 miles though. What.....you would pull out the bearings and re-clean and plastigauge etc.? Geeeeeeet the ef outta here!!! :-)

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: 2005 caravan 3.3L rebuild