Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: After a rainy night issues with lights, wipers, radio and blower

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 09:32 PM
viktor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After a rainy night issues with lights, wipers, radio and blower

Hi, there.
recently bought a grand caravan with a bed in the back to travel Canada. Now before I started was a rainy night. In the morning started ignition but noticed something weird. No radio, no blower(nor heat nor cold, tho I hear something "moving", when I'm switching climate zone on and off), headlights do not work in any position but blinker do work, wipers do not work as well and no water spraying. Mirrors are still adjustable and interior light works. Starting normal, so I think battery is good. Horn works too. Speed shows correct but the gauge are all lit, like I'm in all gears. When I start from P and go into R it shows correctly, then into D and all of them light up. While driving I did notice it do not transmitting to 4 gear, I guess. Well I'm driving 60km/h(40mp/h) and above only RPM is rising(~4000rpm) but I know I've been 100km/h(60mph) on ~2000RPM. Also this "buckle up" sign disappears without me fastening my belt but doors signals act normal.

Any suggestion or where to start looking for a solution?

Old 08-26-2018, 10:51 PM
mirageman
Professional

You probably need to look in the engine compartment for oily/dirty wires that absorb moisture and short out. Make sure to check for oxidation in the fuse boxes under the hood. If you see wires taped together coming apart, remove the tape and redo any connections.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:16 PM
viktor
Default Weirdness

Thanks, for your reply! I'm investigating.
What I did figure out this morning is, when I depress the rear wiper watering cassette department starts do do something and power windows are operateable but the gauge stays all lit. And yes the rear wiper isn't working, didn't work before. Now I'm guessing it because of the rear wiper? I'd try to pry the panel and disconnect the wiper. Since its a bit easier to do on a Wal-Mart parking lot and with limited tools.

Update: disconnecting wiper motor does nothing. No reaction even when pressing wiperbutton. Were few drops of water tho, don't know either condensation or from rain.

Last edited by viktor; 08-27-2018 at 01:56 PM. Reason: Update
Old 08-27-2018, 06:47 PM
mirageman
Professional

From original post, no lights? No wipers? You have major electrical problems! How can you travel Canada with such issues? Maybe missing breakers/fuses? Maybe this was a flood damaged car?

Old 08-27-2018, 08:55 PM
viktor

Originally Posted by mirageman
From original post, no lights? No wipers? You have major electrical problems! How can you travel Canada with such issues? Maybe missing breakers/fuses? Maybe this was a flood damaged car?
I just started traveling was like few day in one rain was good too but a heavier rain did kill it. Seller didn't have those problems he insured me and it was not a flood vehicle.
So far I did find something out tho. I checked the fuses were all good but when I pull the IOD fuse it all starts working wipers windows and the blower however radio does not work. Pluged it back it thought I have to Google what such a diod cost and so on. Tryed starting and all works again. Call it magic but I just don't know what caused it and if it's going to return. Next time this will be the first thing I'll look at. Hope it might help someone in the future!
thank you for your replies mirageman!

Update: it did work until I had to shut down. Now I'm on the same issue. Have to find out a way to crowl under to check. Can't see anything under the hood...

Last edited by viktor; 08-27-2018 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Update
Old 09-05-2018, 08:13 PM
J Wikoff
Rookie

I know it's been several days, so I assume the problem cleared up, but here's my relevant experience: I once went through the car wash with the fuse box open. The van died a mile down the road and would not restart until I pulled all the fuses and relays, dried them best I could, and then unhooked the battery cable for a minute to clear the TIPM or whatever. After that, it restarted, but one of the bright headlight bulbs stayed on for a while. My suggestion is to make sure everything is dry in the fuse box, and unhook the battery for a bit.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: After a rainy night issues with lights, wipers, radio and blower