Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: front Leaf Spring Bushings

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 10:15 PM
georgi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front Leaf Spring Bushings

I would like to replace the front Leaf Spring Bushings on my dodge caravan 2001. I read, special tool is needed to remove the old bushings. Stores don't have it for rent/sell.
How to replaced them? I was not able to find a post.

Old 10-07-2018, 01:37 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Unless somebody has done some serious custom work, you don't have leaf springs on the front end of your van. I think you mean the lower control arm bushings.

You can use a ball joint press to remove and install the bushings, but you want to make sure you have some kind of adapter to press on the outer edge of the new bushing so it doesn't tear the center out of the bushing while installing it. Any parts store that rents a ball joint press should also have an adapter kit available to rent as well.

That being said, I was reading up on the procedure for removing the lower control arms, and it also states that the suspension cradle needs to be dropped in order to do it so the pivot bolts can clear the transaxle.

I've never replaced lower control arms on a 2001 caravan, so it's possible the cradle may just have to be lowered instead of completely removed, but I don't know that for sure. If it does have to be completely removed, I think you'll end up saving yourself a lot of time and hassle by having these replaced at an alignment shop, because even if you do it yourself, it's going to need an alignment anyway.

Good luck.

Old 10-11-2018, 09:58 PM
georgi
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to replace #7. Maybe my post was not clear. Sorry.

Old 10-12-2018, 07:58 AM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 61 Likes on 58 Posts

Ah... I think that was part your words and part my misunderstanding.

Google search "Chrysler tool 8459" - all kinds of results come up. I highly recommend you purchase one for this job - those bushings are not going to come out easy. You should start spraying them with penetrating oil now so by the time you have everything, it will have had plenty of time to work.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: front Leaf Spring Bushings