Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[2nd Gen : 91-95]: A670 31TH Transmission Part Number Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2018, 11:03 AM
devtech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A670 31TH Transmission Part Number Help

I have a 1994 Plymouth Voyager V6 3.0L VIN 2P4GH2532RR634558 with what I assume is an A670 31TH transmission. There is no TCM or overdrive so I know the transmission is at least a 31TH. From what I can find online the bell-housing for the 3.0L engine might not be an A670. My alldataDIY.com repair manual states "A seven digit part number is stamped on a pad located at the rear of the trans-axle on the trans-axle oil pan flange." Unless this number is covered by the pan, I can't find any 7 digit number stamped or cast or label stuck anywhere on the housing. The only two numbers cast on the surface of the housing are "424-6-A" (about 2" high characters) on the bottom of the housing and 426-C (~1/4" high characters) facing the driver's side wheel on the housing next to the transfer gear cover plate. According to the manual it is critical to identify the exact transmission before replacing or repairing. I'm hoping that someone can help in finding the location of the Mopar 7 digit part number for the transmission I have installed. I am trying to avoid dropping the pan to look for the number if possible. I would prefer to have researched all my options for parts and perhaps service pricing before taking anything apart that I might have to put back together if I end up paying someone else to do the rebuild. I was gifted this vehicle several years ago and have done the 3.0L water pump/timing belt / cam/crank oil seals, fuel pump, brakes, and several other minor repairs. While I should probably junk it as the transmission just started jerking and shuddering on my last 40 mile journey (It likely has over 200K on the original transmission). I have no idea whether it was ever rebuilt (I'm not the original owner). Of course I just bought new tires and with all the repairs that I have done I probably have many times the resale value (parts and labor) in it. While I am sentimentally attached at this point it also has the advantage of being paid for, the AC works great and I've never had a driver's seat that is more perfect for my back, so I can't see not fixing the transmission whether I pay a shop to rebuild or buy a manufactured unit and swap it myself. While I am confident that I can do the re-build myself, I don't think I could mentally handle having the transmission fail because I missed cleaning out a spec of trash after putting in all the time and effort for the complete repair. Any help on where to find the number would be appreciated. TIA

Old 12-18-2018, 04:42 PM
georgef
Veteran
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

According to the "Equipment Listing" sheet, your van came with the "3-Spd. Automatic 31TH Transmission"
http://www.chrysler.com/webselfservi...GH2532RR634558

Old 12-18-2018, 05:47 PM
devtech
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for providing the "as-built" equipment list. I am looking for the specific seven digit Mopar part number for the installed transmission.

Quick Reply: [2nd Gen : 91-95]: A670 31TH Transmission Part Number Help