Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Sound under Passengers front dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 11:31 AM
coyoted
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound under Passengers front dashboard

I have this load clicking sound under the dash board even sometimes when the van is not running it will go for like a minute and then just stop. I have included 2 videos of what it sounds like. Also if I push the recycle air button it just stops.
Any ideas? Thanks

Old 01-20-2019, 11:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

It is the blend doors recalibrating. Normal.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:38 AM
coyoted
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been doing for like a month now. Even when the van has not run for like an hour or more. Sometimes when I ope n the door to get in to start the van it starts doing it before even puttting the keys in the ignition.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:41 AM
milanz
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jkeaton
It is the blend doors recalibrating. Normal.
Not normal and it's not the blend door recalibrating. If it stops as soon as you hit the recirc button it is the recirculation door actuator motor with a broken gear or, as in my case, a broken shaft going through one of the gears. It's all plastic inside and this is a very common problem with many dodge models using these types of actuators. I bought a new one from Rock Auto for about $34 Canadian if I remember correctly. If it is the recirc actuator it was fairly easy to get to by re moving the lower glove box and the felt protector beneath it.
The reason why you hear it after turning the van off is that the control logic automatically moves the recirc door to open after about 1 minute so that the stale air doesn't build up in the van after parking. You might set it to recirc mode but it will always reset to fresh air intake mode after turning off. Just wait for a minute after turning off and you will hear the actuator run and then when the recirc door gets to the end of travel it will start clicking because the broken gear/shaft in the actuator is skipping teeth due to moving and losing engagement. At this point the actuator has lost its calibration and can never really be calibrated because it will always lose its position, Only solution is to replace and then you must calibrate after replacing. On some GC models you can recalibrate by pushing a sequence of buttons on the HVAC console but on my 2010 SXT I had to use my Launch x431 pros mini scan tool to initiate the calibration routine which recalibrates all front and rear actuators, blend, mode and recirc.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Sound under Passengers front dashboard