Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2019 GC transmission / manual shift

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 04:34 PM
rustyedge
Amateur
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2019 GC transmission / manual shift

Greetings all. My trusty 07 GC SXT is due for replacement. I stopped by the dealer today to get acquainted with the new SXT and compare to the Pacifica. I noticed the GC can be downshifted/upshifted manually but the Pacifica cannot. I like this option when going down long hills so not to ride the brakes or slowing down on slick roads. Any comments on the transmission? How are you new model GC owners liking your new vehicles? Should I go all out for a Pacifica or stick with my tried and true GC? My current 07 has only 81,000 miles and has been wonderful. It still has the original water pump, spark plugs and all options still work. I almost hate to get rid of it but it is starting to show its age. My previous 96 model was also a good vehicle. My GC is mostly used for weekend ski trips and other outings where the rear seats are folded down and it's just the wife and I and our gear. I really like the cargo capacity of the GC and the stow and go versatility. I don't like that the GC is no longer available with a sun roof but I guess I can live without it. Thanks for all replies.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:40 PM
Roddie Toney

I have an 18 that we bought with 3k on it and now has 9700 so not many miles. I run econ now all the time but did run without it on. Without it throttle was sensitive especially getting on the interstate with rpms around 1500 running 35 mph and upwards of 2k until you hit 46 mph then it dropped to 1000 rpm. It always shifted with lightest of throttle. With button pushed it runs low rpms and skips several gears with less shifting. Getting on interstate is now smoother with good pickup. Only down fall is getting on an overpass from a stop it gets in to high a gear which feels like a standard that you started in second gear. We love the fuel economy and stow and go with captain seats on second row as I leave those stowed so I can put wife's wheelchair there. Also love the area behind rear seats for groceries so never out of room. Just took a 400 mile round trip loaded with overnight items and still have just under a half tank of fuel left. I didn't reset the mpg gauge in over 1500 miles and after this trip it shows 26 mpg. When I first bought it I kept track of fuel economy and I averaged 20 mpg over 5k miles. Most of my drives are under 50 mph.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:44 PM
rustyedge
Amateur

I did pull the trigger and brought my new SXT home last week. It's octane red with blacktop pkg and the new version all black wheels. I could not stand the silver calipers behind the all black wheels so I got a G2 caliper paint kit and painted them black. Splash guards are now on and the weather tech floor liners came today. I did not like the factory splash guards so I went with the same flat 9 X 15 inch universal ones I had on my 07.
She drives beautifully. So much better than the gen 4. I have not played with the eco button but I will do that soon. The brakes are also a huge improvement. I love the dual piston calipers up front with heavy duty rotors. I noticed when down shifting manually, the van stays in manual mode until you shift back up. I will get used to everything in the coming weeks. I do love the pick up and acceleration. The new 3.6 engine with 6 speed is very smooth and powerful.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2019 GC transmission / manual shift