Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Transmission Fluid Can't be Changed??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 10:13 PM
Inkfreq
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Fluid Can't be Changed??

I just hit 60,000 miles in my 2017 Grand Caravan and it's time (per the service manual) to change the transmission fluid.

So I take it to my mechanic, and he pops the hood and tells me it's "sealed system", and it needs to be taken back to the dealership for the change. He says it requires some kind of vacuum he doesn't have.

Is my mechanic on crack or is this really a thing?

Old 06-06-2019, 10:57 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

he is not familiar with the transmission. Its not a sealed system. the dipstick is hidden under an electrical wiring harness so no one see's it. The dipstick is just a tube with a plug. to check the fluid a dealer tool/dipstick and scan tool is required. the temp and graduated mark on the dipstick is compared to a temp/fluid level chart and must be in a set range for the temp of the fluid.

The mechanic isn't dumb....its impossible to know every make and model as they all run different systems. If I have to search a Mercedes fill procedure it would take 15minutes of reading and then I might find out I can't do it without special equipment.

Old 06-06-2019, 11:09 PM
Inkfreq
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The mechanic is dumb. Very dumb. He's also my son... so you know... I have to say it. HAHA!

I appreciate that. I'll let him know and see if we can't get this done.

NAPA told me there is no filter for this transmission? That seem right?

Old 06-07-2019, 12:06 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

napa is wrong. 62te trans has a serviceable filter and uses atf+4 fluid. buy it from a dealer....a pan drop requires approx. 7 liters. the pan is sealed with rtv. the filter kit comes with a new filter seal...always replace the seal. the old seal may deform or tear when the filter is pulled out. If the new filter doesn't seal...you will have problems and will have to drop the pan again.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:49 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Inkfreq
I just hit 60,000 miles in my 2017 Grand Caravan and it's time (per the service manual) to change the transmission fluid.

So I take it to my mechanic, and he pops the hood and tells me it's "sealed system", and it needs to be taken back to the dealership for the change. He says it requires some kind of vacuum he doesn't have.

Is my mechanic on crack or is this really a thing?
I think you should look for another mechanic he isn't very knowledgable.

These transmission aren't sealed all that needed to done is unbolt the transmission pan and pry it off. The transmission filter needs to changed also these are available at practically every auto parts store. Make sure you use ATF +4 transmission fluid for fill up.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Transmission Fluid Can't be Changed??