Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Charging Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 09:10 PM
teets.18
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Charging Advice Needed

I have two threads going & didn't know if I should merge them, or keep them separate, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong way to do things here.
2012, GC SXT Flex Fuel, 106K miles, while driving battery light came on, checked charging voltage, and was mid 13's, so I installed a new battery and a rebuilt 160 amp (vehicle calls for 160) alternator from Advanced Auto. The serp belt is Mopar and newer, and the tensioner is stock, and feels okay. The day of the install, alternator was charging at 14.25 volts and seemed happy for 24 hours, but now 4 days later, it charges at 13.9 and my van isn't happy; it's taking longer to start the engine now. Also, I don't know if this is related, but the rear blend door that I installed successfully three weeks prior to the alternator, is now making clicking noises since I've discovered lower voltage charging. My van doesn't like anything below 14.2, it seems.

Are 5th Gen Caravan's sensitive to having the negative battery terminal cable removed for repairs? What do you guys suggest that I do, or try?
PS, I thought about the trick of disconnecting the battery cables and connecting them together for at least 5 minutes to reset the computer.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by teets.18; 06-27-2019 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:19 PM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by *****.18
I have two threads going & didn't know if I should merge them, or keep them separate, so I apologize in advance if this is the wrong way to do things here.
2012, GC SXT Flex Fuel, 106K miles, while driving battery light came on, checked charging voltage, and was mid 13's, so I installed a new battery and a rebuilt 160 amp (vehicle calls for 160) alternator from Advanced Auto. The serp belt is Mopar and newer, and the tensioner is stock, and feels okay. The day of the install, alternator was charging at 14.25 volts and seemed happy for 24 hours, but now 4 days later, it charges at 13.9 and my van isn't happy; it's taking longer to start the engine now. Also, I don't know if this is related, but the rear blend door that I installed successfully three weeks prior to the alternator, is now making clicking noises since I've discovered lower voltage charging. My van doesn't like anything below 14.2, it seems.

Are 5th Gen Caravan's sensitive to having the negative battery terminal cable removed for repairs? What do you guys suggest that I do, or try?
PS, I thought about the trick of disconnecting the battery cables and connecting them together for at least 5 minutes to reset the computer.

Thank you in advance.
If your alternator is producing mid 13 volts it's charging there's range of voltages an alternator will produce under certain conditions. The longer cranking time for starting could be an indication of a TIPM problem fuel pump relay starting to fail it could also cause a battery drain. The clicking sound coming from your rear blend door is cause by your actuator motor having some plastic parts that are broken.

The OBDII unit will not reset by disconnecting the battery the only way to erase the error codes from the memory is with a scan tool.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:16 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I doubt 0.3 volts would cause a problem. Where are you measuring the voltage reading? if across the battery or scan tool pids….use a voltmeter at the alternator output post. if its 14.2 at the alternator and 13.9 at the battery...the voltage drop is across the battery cables.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:10 PM
teets.18
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

14.25 volts was measured on the battery cables, the actual copper strands that poke out at the end near the battery posts. The battery gave the same reading while the engine was running. Then 3 days later, it's measuring 3-4 volts lower at the same spots. I'm wondering if the reman alternator just is poor quality.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Charging Advice Needed