Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Rear A/C and heater unit

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 12:43 AM
Digger 89L
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear A/C and heater unit

When I bought my 2010 Dodge Caravan SE a few years ago (from a Chrysler Dealer) it was a used / trade-in vehicle. The dealer told me that the rear A/C unit did not work (the heater did) and that they 'thought' it had been 'blocked-off' because the rear A/C units are prone to failure and very expensive to repair. (Translation: they didn't want to put that kind of money into a used vehicle selling for $4500). No problem, I thought ...I was going to use it mainly as a cargo van, and didn't care about rear A/C.
Lately I've been noodling around on the internet, checking out this rear A/C issue. Seems there two main problems: the rear evaporator unit leaks and loses it's refrigerant (however, it seems that the front A/C would also not work as the A/C systems is a continuous loop ..right? ...well, my front A\/C works just fine); AND / OR the rear blend door motors are shot (there's two of them ..one for heat, and one for A/C). Well ...I did some checks. Apparently the place where most dealers / mechanics would do a 'block-off' of the rear A/C is under the front passenger seat body area, where the lines are accessible. No evidence of that having been done to my vehicle.
The rear blower works fine, and blows hot air on demand ....but I can't hear the blend doors operating. So, I've come to the conclusion that perhaps I just need to replace the blend door actuators, and I may have working rear A/C. Anyone want to weigh in on this???

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Rear A/C and heater unit