Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Starting issue, and battery cables?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 01:18 PM
cerealx59
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Starting issue, and battery cables?

Hey there,

I have a 2008 Grand Caravan SXT with a 3.8 and I have the infamous intermittent starting issue. ( totally random low voltage at the starter...CLICK!) I can always get it started with a jump.

Anyways, I've heard some people say that its a grounding issue, and so I plan to replace the battery terminal connectors, the positive to the starter, the positive from the starter to the alternator, the positive to the TIPM, the negative, and all attached separate ground cables. I also plan on replacing the chincy little clip on ground strap from the chassis to the motor with a thicker ground strap added with actual bolts from the strut tower to a bolt on the motor (maybe the starter?). I plan to use regular old school battery clamps, and heavy gauge pre-made high amp inverter cable in a two or a zero gauge as well as adding a redundant ground strap both to the chassis, and to the engine block.

Has anyone done a project like this on this van, and if so, is there a link? Did it solve anything?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-17-2019, 08:24 AM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

Replacing main battery cables usually isn’t that difficult. It can be time consuming because there’s usually a lot of clips, looming (corrugated tubing wrapped around wiring) and tape to remove.

Are you sure the battery is good?

Old 12-17-2019, 08:44 AM
cerealx59
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
Replacing main battery cables usually isn’t that difficult. It can be time consuming because there’s usually a lot of clips, looming (corrugated tubing wrapped around wiring) and tape to remove.

Are you sure the battery is good?
Yeah, it's tested out fine.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Starting issue, and battery cables?