Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 tailgate lift button/switch not working

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2019, 11:18 AM
tammybrian2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 tailgate lift button/switch not working

Hi everyone, i have a 2017 grand caravan sxt and the tailgate lift button/swtich, at the rear of the van is not working. with the switch disconnected from the wires, so i'm only testing the voltage at the wires is 4.75v.
when i plug the wire harness in to the switch, the voltage drops to 4.52v. i get this voltage with the original switch and the new switch from rockauto. when i press the button to close the tailgate the voltage drops to 2.2v and the door does not close. i found an article that said the voltage should drop to 0v. (i assume if it dropped to 0v, the tailgate would go down??)
now, when the tailgate is closed i can use the keyfob and the tailgate will open. if i use the keyfob to try to close the tailgate, the blinkers will flash twice and i get a message in the message center that says ' function currently unavailable', and does does not go down.
if i am inside the van with the tailgate closed, the button/switch will not open the tailgate.
there is also a tailgate switch above the driver, there are four buttons, a separate button for each sliding door (2), one for the tailgate itself and a sliding door on/off button. the tailgate button by the driver WILL open the tailgate, but it will not close it.
wondering if anyone might have any thoughts on what to try next? could the body control module play a part in this?

Brian

Old 12-24-2019, 01:01 PM
RickMN
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most likely you have an inhibit codes stored. See this post on how the system works

https://ricksfreeautorepairadvice.co...ower-liftgate/

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2017 tailgate lift button/switch not working