Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: P0302 replaced a lot of stuff, still not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 01:51 PM
Ryan Greene
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0302 replaced a lot of stuff, still not working

Hello,
I have a 2010 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 4.0L and 193,000 miles. The van had been stalling lately and it seemed related to the fuel injectors or the fuel pump. I replaced all fuel injectors and the fuel pump. After I replaced those (no more stalling) the van started running rough and finally threw the P0302 which is misfire on cylinder 2. I replaced all plugs with new Iridium ones and the old ones were really burnt and not one of them were gaped to spec. Drove for a day and check engine light came back with same code. To narrow down if its the coil pack I traded the #2 coil pack with the #6. Drove for another day and engine light came back with same code again. So, first I want to make sure I have my cylinder numbers correct. On the 4.0L, cylinder one is closest to the firewall on passenger side, correct? Which would make #2 closest to the bumper passenger side? Also, when I swapped the coil packs I removed the upper intake when the engine was hot and had been running for at least 30 minutes through city traffic in 80 degree heat. When I removed the intake I could hear a hissing noise coming from the #5 cylinder. I covered each hole with my glove and could only hear the hissing from #5. What is this hissing? Blown head gasket with coolant pushing its way into the cylinder? When it cooled I checked the coolant. I was able to dump about 8 oz into the radiator and the overflow had a small amount at the bottom. I haven't added any coolant for at least 6 months. I am planning to do a compression test this weekend. Any other thoughts or suggestions for troubleshooting? Are there known issues with this 4.0L?
Thanks!
Ryan

Old 02-22-2020, 02:54 PM
Ryan Greene
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I performed a compression test today. The front cylinders from passenger side to driver were 190 170 180 psi dry and the cylinders by the firewall from passenger side to driver were 200 100 200 psi dry. So obviously that middle cylinder on the back is bad. When I wet tested that middle cylinder went up to 270. If you wet test and compression goes up what does that mean? From a quick search I saw some suggestions a valve could be bad. What else should I test? Has anyone had to replace valves on the 4.0L Caravan?

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: P0302 replaced a lot of stuff, still not working