Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Seized wipers

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2020, 08:42 AM
chris.mar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seized wipers

I've got a 2009 Dodge Caravan and the front wipers are seized. A few days ago I turned on the van with the wipers on, they got halfway up and seized, making a rapid clicking/vibrating noise. There was a fair bit of snow on the windshield, so I shut off the wipers, cleared that off, and no change.
The noise is there anytime the wipers are active (intermittent/low/high), but it is even more rapid when set to high. I wasn't able to identify where exactly the noise is coming from, but you can feel it in the wiper. Anyone know what is causing this? Is the wiper motor seized?

Old 03-01-2020, 11:03 AM
teets.18
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems you may have broken either the wiper arm transmission assembly, or the wiper arm motor. You'll have to pull the cowel to visually inspect to find out what broke. Most likely, you will need a wiper arm puller to pull the wiper arms off in order to remove the cowel. Wiper arm pullers run about $14 of Amazon.

Mopar's part number for the transmission assembly is #(5113043AC, or 5113043AD, or 5113043AE). Those are three separate numbers of the same part. Anyone of them should work if that's your issue. If the motor is bad, Mopar's part # for the wiper motor is: 68028446AB.

Last edited by teets.18; 03-01-2020 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:04 AM
chris.mar
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, that's great information. I did a bit more testing and looks like it's the wiper transmission at fault. While the wipers are turned to ON, I can force the arm a little and it will continue the rest of the circuit, but then stick at the exact same point on the next time around. We've got a warm spell coming up, so I'm hoping that there may be some ice buildup on the linkage and if that melts off everything will be magically back to normal...
If not, it seems to me that the likely cause would be a slight bow or warping in one of the arms causing it to catch in that specific location. If that is true, any chance of being able to bend the arm back into a better alignment? I'm not expecting to get much more life out of this vehicle, but it'll be hard to survive the spring without wipers.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Seized wipers