Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[4th Gen : 01-07]: Power steering issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2020, 11:29 AM
JCT268
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering issue

2001 Grand Caravan ES with a 3.8L

The only mechanical issue i currently have is my curb idle speed power steering it's like non existing until i get some rpm's up, I've already replaced the PS pump and reservoir. Only thing i didn't replace is the rubber flex lines feed and return, which i have on order. I'm not yet ready to drop another around $1000 to get the rack and pinion replaced and yes i did use the correct fluid in the system (ATF+4)

Old 07-05-2020, 04:50 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

What’s the condition of the serpentine belt? When is the last time the tensioner was replaced?

I’m not sure if yours has it, but many tensioners have a wear indicator that shows if it’s got the correct amount of tension - if outside this range, the belt is stretched and needs replacement.

Do you feel anything catching or binding as you turn the wheel?

Old 07-05-2020, 05:52 PM
JCT268

New tensioner, idler pulley, and belt.

When the idle is faster than curb idle the steering is fine

Old 07-05-2020, 08:28 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

Did there seem to be a specific event/moment when you noticed this started?

If the power steering is otherwise working fine, I’d be looking for a mechanical problem before a hydraulic one. If the hoses are due for replacement then certainly do it, but a hydraulic restriction would be causing the pump to noticeably whine, especially under load, regardless if it’s new or not.

When is the last time anything on the front end affecting alignment was repaired (tie rods, struts, lower control arms, ball joints, etc), and was an alignment performed?

Old 07-05-2020, 08:54 PM
JCT268

No idea on those, i aquired the van a couple months ago and have been working on fixing the mechanical issues. The electrical gremlins in the left power sliding door will be addressed after my mechanicals is taken care of

I have no service history for this van, as far as i could tell the basic maintenance was done at the dealership until 2019, than it sat until earlier this year

Last edited by JCT268; 07-05-2020 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: [4th Gen : 01-07]: Power steering issue