Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: stow 'n place roof bars usability

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2020, 07:36 PM
Titanium Spork
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stow 'n place roof bars usability

I'm considering buying a recent Caravan, probably SXT, with the stow 'n place roof bars. I need to be able to transport a 55lb / 16.5ft canoe on the roof. I understand that this weight is within spec (150lb max), but I'm not sure if the cross bars are:
  • far enough apart along the length of the vehicle to give enough support to the canoe, which can really catch the wind, and
  • wide enough; at its widest, in the middle, the canoe is 36in, the bars look like they might not be as wide as that.
I'd love to get the measurements or any comments from anyone who's transported a similar load. The canoe is basically a standard "prospector" style.

Old 09-25-2020, 08:04 PM
10brakelight

The box is 42x42". It's square because the bars are either installed down the rails or across them. I'm sure it can hold the weight of a canoe fine while sitting still, but there's no way I'd put one on the roof without blocking at the front and rear because of the dynamic load. TBH I'd probably even cut blocks to go under the middle of the cross bars because why not add additional support?

Old 09-28-2020, 09:10 AM
Titanium Spork

Thanks very much, exactly the info I needed. As for extra support for the canoe, for short trips I just use two webbed straps. The problem is not the weight but the large surface that is affected by crosswinds. For longer trips I also tie down front and back. You can also get brackets that attach to the cross bars and make a "cradle" for the boat. That's very secure.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: stow 'n place roof bars usability