Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[3rd Gen : 96-00]: Troubleshooting/Repairing Electrical/Charging Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2020, 02:45 AM
ehbowen
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubleshooting/Repairing Electrical/Charging Issue

Hey there, back again with the latest chapter in my '99 Voyager daily driver. I posted on a sister forum but didn't get any responses; hopefully someone can give me good direction here.

I'm having an intermittent charging problem with a P0622 code, although it doesn't set the MIL. Hooking up my scanner, it seems that sometimes the alternator works perfectly and then sometimes it doesn't output at all, even though the PCM is calling for it and the "actual field output" is on. Rather than change parts until I get it, I'd like to isolate and diagnose the issue first. Problem is, I have a difficult time even reaching the field terminal on the alternator (it's a 2.4L 4-cylinder), let alone taking it off to attach voltmeter leads. Has anyone Been There Done That and can offer suggestions?

My thinking right now, although I haven't confirmed it, is that I may have a broken wire in one of the field leads. Which begs the question of how should it be repaired, if I can determine for sure which one (to the PCM or to splice ES12). I'm going to have to get some kind of special tool to take the terminal out of the multiconnector; does anyone have recommendations for that? Also, the wiring diagrams call for 18 gauge wire; would going back with 16-gauge be preferred?

Quick Reply: [3rd Gen : 96-00]: Troubleshooting/Repairing Electrical/Charging Issue