Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2009 Dodge Caravan leaking coolant?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 01:56 AM
Em Dblyou
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Dodge Caravan leaking coolant?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if you could help me. A have a 2009 Dodge Caravan SE, and it’s got a leak from the hose that goes from the radiator to this metal part. Yes, that’s how much I know about cars. lol I had it fixed recently for something similar. I had to top up coolant every 2 weeks. It’s been fixed and everything has been working ok for the last month. But now this leak started and every time I stop there a smoke of steam coming out from under the hood. I turn the engine off basically so it eventually stops. Nothing overheats or anything like that. I’m attaching a photo and a video. I have some tools, could I fix this myself? Is it just a gasket that’s behind the metal piece with the bolts showing in the picture? Or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks! 👍

Attached Thumbnails 2009 Dodge Caravan leaking coolant?-f0e6bc78-0f02-45dd-8280-89b24dbebff9.png  
Attached Files
File Type: mov
FullSizeRender.mov (4.50 MB, 10 views)
Old 01-19-2021, 06:35 AM
BigRed92
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not certain but I think that is your thermostat housing. If the housing isn't cracked, you can just go get a new thermostat and the gasket comes in the kit.
Or, I think you can still pick up gasket paper at some parts stores. Cut to fit. dont over over torque when you put it back together

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2009 Dodge Caravan leaking coolant?