Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Replaced transmission, cranks, tries to start, no joy

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2020, 06:50 AM
Mopar340
Veteran
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

I got my transmission rebuilt last year and the shop owner told me that some people buy used transmission at the junk yard and installed them which can cause a lot of issues. The replacement transmission TCM has to reflash and paired to the vehicle ECM if it doesn't recognize it won't be able communicate with the TCM which could cause a no pulsating signal to the injectors from ECM. He said Dodge/Chrysler vehicle are the worst ones for having these issues with communication failures between the modules. You need someone with an advance scan tool that knows exactly what they're doing to check this out for you.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:41 AM
Watchdog Communications
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Definitely right. Thanks for all of your input.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:06 AM
Homoudont

Originally Posted by IDon'tGiveARam
What is your experience? When you turn the key does it crank or just click or just silence? If it cranks does it catch (gas ignites and the engine is turn by explosion if even for a second)? Does it run and then die, and if so how many seconds or minutes before it dies?
Did you get your van started? I replaced the solenoid pack and when I turn the key I get one click. That's it... the starter doesn't attempt to crank. I replaced the starter and still get the same issue.

Old 12-29-2020, 08:12 AM
Watchdog Communications

Thanks everybody for all of your input. I finally got it running last night!!!! Below is a condensed version of what I did....
~~~~~
After replacing the transmission, both transmission mounts, right shaft extension (bearing shot), exhaust flex pipe and oil & filter change on engine and transmission, the van would not start. Kicked but no start.
~~~
Checked fuel pump & pressure, OK
~~~~
Checked TIPM, OK
~~~~~
Opened wiring harness where it may have been disturbed removing the transmission, OK. Checked connectors at ECM, OK
Drained electronics, powered down, shorted removed battery terminals, no joy
~~~~~~
Checked all wiring, sensors
Removed crank position sensor. On bench test it tested intermittent, replaced, no joy
~~~~
The left bank cam angle sensor threw a code. Bench tested it, intermittent fault, replaced, no joy
~~~~
Removed intake and spark plugs, compression was low, 85 to 130, most likely due to the cylinders washed down trying to start so many times
~~
Checked all plugs for spark, ok
~~~
Added oil to cylinders, increased compression.
~~~
Removed fuel rail, jumped fuel pump, no leaky injectors. Activated injectors individually, perfect spray pattern, all identical, no leakage
~~~
As I was removing valve covers, I noticed a hose was chaffing on the wires to the right intake cam phaser, exposing the bare wires. Taped up and secured the hose away during re installation
~~~~~~~~~~
Removed valve covers and found the 2nd intake on the right cam lobe badly worn because of a failed rocker arm. Replaced cam and 6 rockers. while inspecting the other cams, I noticed that the magnetic ring on the end of the cams (used by the crank angle sensors) was covered in fine metal particles. I cleaned all 3 remaining one ones. Could this magnetic buildup throw off the cam angle sensors?? Put it all back together and it started first try and ran like a charm!! Joy, Joy
~~~~~~~
So I am thinking a combination of factors?

Old 12-29-2020, 09:19 AM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow I'm glad you solved it. I would have never guessed that.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Replaced transmission, cranks, tries to start, no joy