Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: A/C Drain tube clogs every 2 or 3 months

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 05:47 PM
bm1000r
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Drain tube clogs every 2 or 3 months

2008 Dodge Grand Caravan that the A/C drain clogs every 2 to 3 months and overflows back into the fan and dumps water on the passenger floor board. I constantly unclog it and have even used the heater core cleaners and it still only last several months. The issue is the top tube/housing at the disconnect inside the cabin. Has anyone found a permanent solution or a good way to clean this out good for it to last? Taking it apart to clean is not an undertaking I want to do.

Old 12-26-2020, 05:26 PM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bm1000r
2008 Dodge Grand Caravan that the A/C drain clogs every 2 to 3 months and overflows back into the fan and dumps water on the passenger floor board. I constantly unclog it and have even used the heater core cleaners and it still only last several months. The issue is the top tube/housing at the disconnect inside the cabin. Has anyone found a permanent solution or a good way to clean this out good for it to last? Taking it apart to clean is not an undertaking I want to do.
I don't have an 08, but I'm handy. If this is a rubber hose get a tee at the auto parts or hardware store. Then cut a length out of the hose and save that piece. Put the tee in and put the piece of hose on the third leg of the tee and plug it with a bolt that fits the inside diameter of the hose.

Once a month pull out the bolt and blow compressed air in the tee while pinching the hose in one direction, then in the other direction, so that you have blown air in up the hose and down the hose.

Old 12-27-2020, 10:23 AM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 64 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by bm1000r
It’s most likely that there’s a build up of leaves and other debris in the HVAC housing. Every time you clear the drain, it’s just making room for more of the debris to clog it.

The cleaners that are sprayed into the housing are intended for killing mold, but they do little to remove accumulated debris.

You can try removing the blower motor and using a shop vac to reach into the housing and clear it. The air is always routed to the evaporator first, even with full heat, so the bulk of the debris will be accumulated at the base of the evaporator. A good flashlight and inspection mirror or your camera phone could give you an idea of how difficult it would be to reach it. The shop vac hose can be reduced for easier access with a length of garden hose and duct tape.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: A/C Drain tube clogs every 2 or 3 months