Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Fuel pump control wire grounded. Normal??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 07:33 PM
Mark Warren
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel pump control wire grounded. Normal??

I'm trouble shooting my 2011 with a cranks but with no fire issue. Looking at the fuel pump relay. The DB/OR wire is grounded, with key on or off. Is this normal?

Old 01-05-2021, 08:49 PM
GumbyRT
Captain
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts

Yes. That’s the wire that powers the fuel pump, so it’s running through the pump motor to ground.

Did you measure the resistance to ground? If so, what was it? I don’t know the spec off hand, but anything less than about 2 ohms could be considered a short to ground (either in the harness or the pump).

If you pull the fuse and use a fused jumper wire from battery positive to the fuel pump side of the circuit, the fuel pump should turn on (key can be off). If it doesn’t turn on, remove the TIPM from its mounts and inspect the DB/OR wire at the connector on the bottom of the TIPM for burned terminals.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:37 PM
Mark Warren
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GumbyRT
Yes. That’s the wire that powers the fuel pump, so it’s running through the pump motor to ground.

Did you measure the resistance to ground? If so, what was it? I don’t know the spec off hand, but anything less than about 2 ohms could be considered a short to ground (either in the harness or the pump).

If you pull the fuse and use a fused jumper wire from battery positive to the fuel pump side of the circuit, the fuel pump should turn on (key can be off). If it doesn’t turn on, remove the TIPM from its mounts and inspect the DB/OR wire at the connector on the bottom of the TIPM for burned terminals.
I measure this morning, I got .4 ohms to the battery much higher to the chassis. I'll try removing the connector the the pump and measure again.

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Fuel pump control wire grounded. Normal??