Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Parking Brake too tight.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2021, 03:08 PM
PowerDan
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Brake too tight.

hey all, I bought a 2012 Dodge Caravan a while back and the only issues it had was a snapped parking brake cable. I thought that would be an easy fix, but I cant seem to fix it. I got the new cable run and in place but when I tried to hook up the cables its about 2 inches short. I tried to pull out the slack, but it just fully engages the brake and I still need more slack. Is there any way to adjust the parking brake cable? The last one I saw had adjustment in it, this one is all factory ends with no room for adjustments. What step did I miss?

Old 03-12-2021, 10:11 AM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by PowerDan
hey all, I bought a 2012 Dodge Caravan a while back and the only issues it had was a snapped parking brake cable. I thought that would be an easy fix, but I cant seem to fix it. I got the new cable run and in place but when I tried to hook up the cables its about 2 inches short. I tried to pull out the slack, but it just fully engages the brake and I still need more slack. Is there any way to adjust the parking brake cable? The last one I saw had adjustment in it, this one is all factory ends with no room for adjustments. What step did I miss?
I don't have a solution for the cable you have. I would say that it's possible that somone in parts or in the manufacturing process either cut the cable too short or put it in the wrong bag/box. Go find another one and see if they are different lengths? If nothing improves you could also have a cable made with the one you got, if you go to a store that has tractor parts and such they will have cable by the foot and cable fasteners. You also need to buy a turnbuckle to tighten up the two cables you would have.

Working with galvanized cables, this video shows much larger gauge cable but it will give you an idea of what I'm on about.

Turnbuckle at tractor supply (their prices are higher than smaller local stores but they're around)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...kle-galvanized

Old 03-12-2021, 10:21 AM
IDon'tGiveARam
Professional
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

On second thought, don't buy anything. Go to a lawnmorer/machine repair shop and ask them to add the few inches to the cable you need. Measure the cable under the van to a section that can have clamps on it without hitting anything. Then mark that spot. Go to the shop and they will patch in the 5 inches or so that you need. They will have the cabes, clamps (swages), and tools to clamp. So they will likely only charge you a few bucks.

Swaging
https://loosnaples.com/riggers-guide...ssed%20sleeve.

Old 03-27-2021, 04:12 PM
PowerDan

SOLVED
I solved the problem. I took the brake peddle off one more time, with the plan to try and shut the brake light off (just get the switch to turn off). then I took a quick minute to observe how the mechanics of the brake paddle worked and noticed there was a lever out of place. This lever disengages the ratchet effect the second time you step on the peddle. (press once to engage brake, press again and it will release) Its a thin metal piece that sits in a notch. (mine was originally on the other side of the arm with the notch in it)

I'll link the 2 pictures I took if anyone else ever runs into this problem. This was a very frustrating one to find, I'd bet its not very common.

look down from the top front.

Looking down from top

Old 04-11-2022, 08:07 PM
Ben S
Default Thanks OP!

Thank you PowerDan! I had the exact same issue Your photos saved the day.

Old 10-16-2023, 08:21 PM
Termagar
Default Brake lever fix

Originally Posted by PowerDan
SOLVED
I solved the problem. I took the brake peddle off one more time, with the plan to try and shut the brake light off (just get the switch to turn off). then I took a quick minute to observe how the mechanics of the brake paddle worked and noticed there was a lever out of place. This lever disengages the ratchet effect the second time you step on the peddle. (press once to engage brake, press again and it will release) Its a thin metal piece that sits in a notch. (mine was originally on the other side of the arm with the notch in it)

I'll link the 2 pictures I took if anyone else ever runs into this problem. This was a very frustrating one to find, I'd bet its not very common.

look down from the top front.

Looking down from top
Did this give you the extra cable length needed? I have the exact same problem: I am replacing the equalizer (which joins the three cables), but came up short!
How did you manipulate the mechanism to achieve the desired effect? Does someone have a video for this?

Last edited by Termagar; 10-16-2023 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Added more info

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Parking Brake too tight.