Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2009 Grand Caravan won’t stay running.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 10:34 PM
jeffestes
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Grand Caravan won’t stay running.

3.8 This is a new development that I can’t figure out. Maybe somebody can help before I replace everything. I will go thru the whole process, maybe helpful maybe not. First started 14 days ago the vehicle stalled less than a mile from home, it started back up but ran rough and would only go 30 mph on full throttle. Parked the vehicle and next day it started fine and ran fine for a couple days. I changed the oil 10 days ago, when I started the vehicle after about 2 quarts of oil came out of a defective oil filter, van ran for 10 seconds before I new it, I shut off and replaced filter and oil vehicle had no issues that I know of. Van ran fine for 8 days then started doing the same thing, van stalls, when starting up have to throttle and brake to keep it running, runs really rough, and will only go 30 mph on full pedal. Now it does this every time, runs rough and will not stay idle without pedal. I’ve taken the throttle body off and cleaned it with cleaner. I’ve replace the PCV valve, changed oil. Nothing changes. Van will start but dies if not on the gas pedal. Important note. I have check engine light on for a faulty or clogged Catalytic converter that has been on for a couple years now. Please anybody have any clue what is going on.

Old 06-05-2021, 07:28 PM
2tall2
Amateur
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So many possibilities. Never heard of a specific code that denotes a clogged converter. What are the actual P codes? What's the mileage? Something 02 sensor or converter efficiency related? When the downstream 02 sensor begins to match the readings of the upstream 02 sensor a converter efficiency fault is stored. Doesn't mean it's restricted it's just not doing it's job for various reasons. First thing I would check is the fuel pressure while it's acting up. In my world that meant a fuel pressure gauge taped to the windshield while road testing. Cat converters don't fail they are murdered. If the exhaust was restricted the symptoms are usually consistent meaning not good one day and good the next. Try hitting the converter and see if it rattles. Maybe a fuel pump or the common T.I.P.M. fuel pump relay problem. More info needed.

Old 10-07-2023, 09:14 AM
R.hassim31@gmail.com
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did u ever find out what was causing the problem

Originally Posted by jeffestes
3.8 This is a new development that I can’t figure out. Maybe somebody can help before I replace everything. I will go thru the whole process, maybe helpful maybe not. First started 14 days ago the vehicle stalled less than a mile from home, it started back up but ran rough and would only go 30 mph on full throttle. Parked the vehicle and next day it started fine and ran fine for a couple days. I changed the oil 10 days ago, when I started the vehicle after about 2 quarts of oil came out of a defective oil filter, van ran for 10 seconds before I new it, I shut off and replaced filter and oil vehicle had no issues that I know of. Van ran fine for 8 days then started doing the same thing, van stalls, when starting up have to throttle and brake to keep it running, runs really rough, and will only go 30 mph on full pedal. Now it does this every time, runs rough and will not stay idle without pedal. I’ve taken the throttle body off and cleaned it with cleaner. I’ve replace the PCV valve, changed oil. Nothing changes. Van will start but dies if not on the gas pedal. Important note. I have check engine light on for a faulty or clogged Catalytic converter that has been on for a couple years now. Please anybody have any clue what is going on.
Did u ever find out what was causing the problem

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2009 Grand Caravan won’t stay running.