Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 caravan shuts off while cruising and will not restart for 20 minutes

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 03:04 PM
tombj
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2011 caravan shuts off while cruising and will not restart for 20 minutes

160k miles, 2011 caravan when driving engine will turn off at random, lights and dash will be on, otherwise normal appearance but engine is off, I roll to a stop and engine will not restart for 20 minutes, then the car will run normally. During the dead period if you turn ignition key, starter will run continuously turning over the engine WITH HANDS OFF THE KEY unless and until you manually switch the key back to off (engine will not start), ie., the key switch behaves as a maintained rather than momentary switch. Has happened 4x since new, 2x in last 3 weeks. While sitting for the 20 minutes I hear some servo motor sounds behind the dash, drivers side, but since I never sit in the car with it off I don't know if that is related, a bug or a feature. Next time it happens I will disconnect the battery and see if maybe that will reboot the computer or something to shorten the 20 minute wait time. I don't think this is a fuel pump, ignition key switch or throttle body problem, but maybe some sort of sticking intermittent relay or computer issue I think. Crankshaft sensor heat shielding looks fine, cursory wiring harness inspection looks good, recent battery. Any suggestions would be appreciated, wife has lost confidence in the car and looking to replace with a different brand. Can't say that I blame her...

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: 2011 caravan shuts off while cruising and will not restart for 20 minutes