Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[5th Gen : 08+]: Engine identification

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 04:09 PM
sikdodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine identification

Hello all. I have a 2010 Dodge Avenger R/T with the 2.4 but need some FAST ideas so I dipped into the highest thread count first, since caravans have 2.4's. I will go back to the Avenger forum in a sec, but, bear with me.

Okay, bought a Dodge Avenger with 7k miles on it. Engine looked dirty but all pullys look new. Fan/fan shroud look totally gunked up on the outside, like high miles. Sadly I didnt notice when I bought it (I trusted the reseller) and now at 17k miles the rods knock like a can of marbles at 2500 rpm, and, or, if you give it gas in the morning when it is cold but quiets down once it warms up. Quieting down when it is warmed up sounds like I have a little time do do something before she blows. I think the yard swapped the engine and trans on me. I have searched for info on this engine, and, it being such a highly produced engine, I am SHOCKD there is no info on it searching guugle. I have heard the R/T gets a higher performing engine than most others. Is there any part numbers on the block, crank or rods (that I could see with the oil pan off) to see if this is the original engine and document it? I only have like a few months to document the case with evidence and file in the courts so any info will help.

I have read so far that the deck is taller on a 2.4 than a 2.0, so, I can maybe check to see if it is a 2.0 in the least. Other than that, I am lost. Worst case scenario, I will have to rebuild, but that totally s'ks, cause, thats why I bought the car, so I would not HAVE TO. Any documentation on the 2.4 that you all know off the top of your heads and, or, direct me to?

Okay, well, thats it for now. I will post in the Avenger section also (if thats not considered spamming) when I get home from work, stick around more in there, and do some more digging for info, but, man, I cant find anything...............yet.

Thanks

Quick Reply: [5th Gen : 08+]: Engine identification