Dodge Caravan The Dodge Caravan is the best selling mini van from Dodge. How many Dodge Caravan owners here at DodgeForum.com would agree? Discuss it now!

[General]: Keeps Honking occasionally when key fob is nearby

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 01:37 AM
TacoCrusader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keeps Honking occasionally when key fob is nearby

This is solved but I could not find any information online about this. See pictures below and Solution explanation.

Problem
Ok so my wife called me today to let me know the car would honk as if you locked the car with the key fob as she walking up to it with the keys in hands but not pressing anything. It also would lock the door/ honk immediately after turning the key to shut off the car.

When she got home from work, she set her keys at the far end of the house away from the car. I tested walking up to the car with my fob and nothing happened. Went back inside and grabbed her fob and the car honk/locked on it’s owns. I unlocked with her fob and it immediately honked/locked twice afterwards.

So I thought possibly the fob battery is going out and that it was a warning but couldn’t find anything online supporting this. I replaced the her fob CR2032 battery and proceeded outside and the darn car still honked/locked on its own.

Solution / Fix
So I took apart her fob again and pulled the transponder board out. As you can see in the picture the little metal plates adhesive that are supposed to be attacting the metal to rubber melted and was making the connection to locked the doors constantly.

Luckily, I had another new rubber keypad from a replacement fob case I ordered off amazon. I cleaned the board with some rubbing alcohol and dried it.

Slapped it together and tested it out. Success! honking/locking when walking up. The unlock, lock, panic button all work. And starts up fine.

Last edited by TacoCrusader; 04-28-2023 at 01:39 AM.

Quick Reply: [General]: Keeps Honking occasionally when key fob is nearby